Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Changing Headlight Bulbs

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  NonCorp 
#1 ·
Okay. so i got my new headlights to put in...but i can't get the old ones out. i went to autozone.com and used their free guide as a reference...i pulled out the three screws indicated in their picture (all three 10mm heads) and tried to pull the headlamp out (carefully...carefully) and it wouldn't budge.

am i missing something?

any help would be great. thanks.

#2 ·
Originally posted by LoadedLX@Aug 16 2004, 03:43 PM
Okay. so i got my new headlights to put in...but i can't get the old ones out. i went to autozone.com and used their free guide as a reference...i pulled out the three screws indicated in their picture (all three 10mm heads) and tried to pull the headlamp out (carefully...carefully) and it wouldn't budge.

am i missing something?

any help would be great. thanks.
Do the gen 3 cars have the L-shaped retainers that need to be pulled up like the gen 4's do? There are two on each lamp unit on the 2000-04 Taurus.

#3 ·
There is a 4th bolt that needs to be loosened. It's actually a pinch-bolt, so it won't come all the way out. Just loosen it a few turns and the headlamp should come right out. It's located at the rear of the headlamp, somewhere near the center.

#4 ·
i have no idea. the guide i found said to just remove three screws and pull....i tried that. it wouldn't budge. i triple checked to make sure i had the right three screws and tried again...nothing.

there's a rubber seal around the front of the headlight lens...i wonder if maybe some genius glued the $#@!$ing thing down?

#5 ·
okay. for anyone with the same problem...i just checked my owners manual and it says to just reach in and remove the bulb...don't say a thing about removing the entire lamp assembly.

i'm gonna try it here in a few...i'll let ya'll know how it comes out.

#6 ·
oh man...broke half of the clip on the drivers side...couldn't even touch the passenger side.

screw it. unless someone knows what i'm doing wrong i'm gonna take the damned things back to the store.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#7 ·
lol i just saw that post that sixfofalcon left. damn i'm an idiot. :homer:

well its too late to do it now unless i pull the car in the garage...so when i get it all figured out i'll let you guys know how it goes.

thanks sixfo...sorry i didn't see that post earlier.

#8 ·
worked like a charm. undid that bolt and the damned thing almost fell out onto the ground. changed both bulbs in fifteen minutes, and was extra careful not to touch the glass on either bulb.

thanks again sixfo for the help. i just wish i'd seen that post earlier before i got all filthy.

#9 ·
Originally posted by LoadedLX@Aug 16 2004, 07:12 PM
worked like a charm. undid that bolt and (it) almost fell out onto the ground. changed both bulbs in fifteen minutes, and was extra careful not to touch the glass on either bulb.

thanks again sixfo for the help. i just wish i'd seen that post earlier before i got all filthy.
LoadedLX, I have a 97 Taurus SE and found that removing the battery allowed better access to the driver's side bulb. Did you have to do that? Just curious. It would seem that only small hands could replace the bulb with the battery still in place. I just replaced my last week so this is all fresh in my memory. If there is an easier way, I would like to know for next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.