Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am going to change my front fuel filter soon, but I am wondering is it a bad idea to pull the fuse on the fuel pump, and run the engine till she dies? I did it once b4 on the rear filter, but I wanna know b4 I do it again.

Thanks
adam

X

·
0 Posts
I dont know whihc is the best way, but I just pulled the plug on the switch in the trunk and tried to start it. It wouldn't start, so i went ahead and changed my filter.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
whas the deal with 2 filters front & rear?

I had mine change in my gen3 96 GL. there is one under the passenger side....
and the guy who changed it did not depressure the fule line.... some fuel spayed out and he changed it really quickely..

if I oull that fuel shut off switch in the truck.. how do u turn it on??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Chiltons says to turn the power off at the safety fuse and run the motor until it starts to spit and emit white smoke. Then the filter is under the rear passenger door. It says to stick your d*** in the two clamps and wiggle them out and pull the filter off. It doesnt say anything about starting it back up and turning the fuse back on. The Haynes manual says that having a fuel filter is a frivulous waste of equiptment and to dismantle it and discard of it promptly and to run the fuel line directly to the motor because the gas from Iraq is bad quality now and the filter will just plug up in a week or so.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've never heard of the second one. I have G4, and I am almost positive there is only one which is under right rear passenger door. What is the part number for this so called front filter?

Relieving the pressure is suggested, you can do it without relieving it too but, pressurized fuel sprays all over...

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Is there also two fuel filters in G2s? When I changed my rear fuel filter, I didn't relieve the pressure. It really wasn't a big mess as long as there's a bucket underneath the filter.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are two filters on a Gen III. One under the pass. right side of the car, the other one is under the driver side door. I don't know about Gen II or IV. I will just pull the fuse then. LOL

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
175 Posts
I changed my fuel filter last summer and i got the scars to prove it.

I tried to slide out of the way of squirting gasoline...was wearing a t-shirt and lying on concrete.

I tripped the cut-off switch and ran it till it died (not a nice sound), but there was still plenty of fuel in the line.

Later on a friend suggested putting a rag over the filter before pulling it out.

Live and learn.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by Dagamemnon@Apr 16 2004, 12:29 AM
I changed my fuel filter last summer and i got the scars to prove it.

I tried to slide out of the way of squirting gasoline...was wearing a t-shirt and lying on concrete.

I tripped the cut-off switch and ran it till it died (not a nice sound), but there was still plenty of fuel in the line.

Later on a friend suggested putting a rag over the filter before pulling it out.

Live and learn.
Yeah, gas is an acquired taste, and it doesn't feel too good in the eyes, either.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, I did the same. Followed the Haynes manual to the letter and still got sprayed a bit. Not nearly as badly as if I'd not pulled the plug and depressurized it first, though.

The process is really simple, just messy. Basically, get a bucket, safety goggles, a bunch of shop rags, and do this all outside.

And for God's sake, don't smoke.

Pax,
Matthew

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Someone please find out 4 sure if this is a fuel or PS filter. It looks like a fuel filter though.

Thanks
adam

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
for my 99 vulcan taurus, the fuel filter was right in front of the passenger side rear tire. there is a powersteering filter but thats up fron towards the bumper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts