Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 99 Taurus LX with the 3.0L Vulcan motor. The car just turned 30K miles. It has an automatic trans (not sure on the model though).

I want to change the transmission filter and replace the fluid. I have heard to re-use my factory ford gasket from the transmission pan and not to use the gasket that comes with the kit. Which should I do here?

Also, how many quarts of ATF do I put into the trans after dropping the pan? I am not doing a complete flush, just dropping the pan. Thank you for any help.

Will

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
It will probably use 5-7 qts.I have changed mine twice with the reuseable gasket NO PROBLEMS. I think it could possibly go down in history as the best thing ever invented by man.

Be sure to torque the bolts with a torque wrench

S

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't.. Trannys dont like sealant. But if you need something to add so that the gasket doesn't move from it's spot. Use that Indian Gasket stuff. Apply in SMALL!!!! amounts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Originally posted by SableSal@Apr 20 2004, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't.. Trannys dont like sealant. But if you need something to add so that the gasket doesn't move from it's spot. Use that Indian Gasket stuff. Apply in SMALL!!!! amounts
You mean shellac?

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Apr 20 2004, 10:57 AM
torque wrentch.. thats exp
I have three different Snap On Torques wrenches from my Engine building days.

I was in Harbor Freight yesterday and they had a quarter inch drive(perfect for tranny pans cause i think it is only 78" or something on the pan. Anyway they were only like twenty bucks.

I would not trust it to build an engine or any critical work but on a tranny the even tightening is the important thing. If your close to the recommended torque but even all the way around I think you would be fine.

Mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
My car is 1998 taurus 3.0 se 3.0L Vulcan motor. most vulcan motor taurus tranny type is AX4S (19 screws is AX4N, 17 screws is AX4S).
I changed transmission filter and replaced the fluid last month. I used 7-8Qts fluid, didn't flush it. The factory ford gasket is much better than that comes with the kit. I continue to use it.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I've reused my factory gasket about 4 times that I can remember.

I also just snug the bolts up, skipping every other one and go around three times. They do not need to be that tight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts