Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need to change my DRL module on my 1999 SE Vulcan, and can't seem to find where it goes, the manual I have doesn't help at all. I'm a bit of novice and have done some repairs on my own, like plugs, wires, alternator, etc. but can't seem to figure this stupid thing out.

P.S. The first post I did on here someone posted a tip on how to disconnect my A/C because it had crapped out.......Well.......i took your advise and it worked!! Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
695 Posts
On my '97 SHO, it was located almost directly under the battery tray. You have to take off the splash shield and go at it from underneath.

·
Registered
135 Posts
if you don't really want the DRL you can just disconnect
the 15 amp fuse and they go off. usually when they go bad
they kinda' blink or pulsate. it's easier to just pull the fuse.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, they don't work at all, and to be honest I think the DRL module is like $150 Cdn, so I'm not even sure if its worth it. One of the reasons I wanted to change it is cause I think it's causing my regular lights to dim while driving. If I find it easy enough to change though I'll probably still do it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
DRL module is well over 100.00 Cdn. I checked and ya, its not worth it. Try just disconnecting it (or pulling the fuse as suggested) and see if your dimming problem goes away. It is located in the front left ww area like 1fast97 says. Good luck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
my DRL lites were blinking and pulsating and also the regular lites
were dimming, so after i pulled the fuse, the lites work just fine
now. that fuse is under the hood in the black plastic fuse box
about in the middle-15amp.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm going to the dealership right now to get a drl module. They told me $115 CDN.

I left mine broken for years, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure that they need to be working to get the required safety standards certificate in order for me to sell the car... to someone else who won't care about DRL.

Oh well!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing just happened to me, last night my son came in and said dad you left the lights on the car, I said no I did not .. but they were on all right, the drl mod must have died, no way I am paying for that ... I pulled the 15a fuse.

The answer I found was here so I joined the club :banana:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I went to a wreckers near me and paid $50.00 cdn for my DRL module. They gave a 30 or
90 day guarentee (sorry, can't remember) with it. That may be an option.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I went to a wreckers near me and paid $50.00 cdn for my DRL module. They gave a 30 or
90 day guarentee (sorry, can't remember) with it. That may be an option.
[/b]
In my old 1993 Taurus I had the module die for an unknown reason after I had the brakes redone (came back from the dealer and they didn't work anymore!) Well I never said anything and it wasn't until 2 years later that I got the module replaced... Wasn't really that expensive either (no way was it $100, although I did get it used)... Unfortunately 4 months later my car was involved in a minor accident that led to me scrapping the entire car... Well when I got my 99 Taurus, I noticed the lights starting to do that pulsating thing too and got the place I bought the car from to replace it with another used module and it worked fine... Now, (about 5 months later) they are starting to pulsate a little tiny bit... Hopefully it doesn't develop into a bigger problem because I will be really pissed... I don't get why these modules are so ******? Also, living in Canada EVERY car has to have DRLs... And to me, having a car without them makes it stick out like a sore thumb and tells everyone that your car is in disrepair! I personally can't let that happen!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts