Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a how-to on Gen 1 and 2 LED color swap. Has anybody done just the LED swap on a Gen 4(I don't necessarily want the white face gauges) ? How about pulling the gauges to do this? Do you have to pull apart the entire dash?
There are how-to's in here that call for the negative battery cable to be pulled before starting. Does that require any set-ups that need to be done when power is lost?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well I have a Gen.3 Sable which it is the same as the Ford Taurus 96-99. Umm ... all I know that in the Gen. 3 to do that modification or putting the glow gauges in there, we need to take out the Oval Stock Radio with the Removal Radio Kit. Then take out some stuff there until we reach to the Instrument Cluster. Im not sure in the Gen.4 if you had to take out the whole dash. But I think you have to take out the whole dash until you see the instrument panel so unplug those screws in there plus some plugs that goes behing the instrument panel so when you do that you will see some black button in there then just turn right or left until you take it out and you will see the bulb in there which its the 194. I think I put in there like 8 or so, Im not sure how many in total since I did it a few months agoI did this mod in mine but the blueish or red bulbs they sell in the AutoParts stores or autozones will work but will not look so bright and will not eliminate that color at all so I recommend to put the Superbright LED 194 Bulb. They sell it in Ebay or in another place. If you want go to the where is says Garage so you could see how nice bright blue bulb in my front side turn signal. Trust me, if you put that bulb will look hell nice in your instrument panel.

Note: The one I have installed in there are the one from the first link before though ... maybe but some from both bulb to see the difference if you want.

Here is a link for the SuperBright LED:

Superbright LED Bulb 194

Here's another link, they are the same bulbs but has some more LEDs. Therefore they could more brighter and light up more than the one in the link above.

Superbright LED 194

S

·
0 Posts
Is that the part number for the Instrument Panel bulbs? Cause I got the white face gauges and I want to color the bulbs. Let me know

Sal

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Yeah, those are the bulbs that goes in there, which its the 194. I put it to mine and it looks damn nice in there. I also put it in the front turn side signal marker with the clear side lenses. I have a pic in my phone of the blue light in my inst. panel though but i cant send it 2 my emai. But if u want check out in the garage the lights how knows it looks at night.

Frank.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Ok, I will send it now ... but I just put that number in there or put a 1 before right?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Sal I am having errors sending the picture I will send it to your email, is it ok to send it there though? If yes, where?

Frank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
you shouldnt have to take out the radio to get there, there should be 2 screws on the top of the black plastic surround in front of the steering wheel, and then that casing comes off... then from there just look around inside for the rest of the screws, its pretty obvious...

is this what ur talking about?:
but u want to change the color behind the speedo?

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Ibanezfreeek@Jul 3 2004, 12:16 AM
you shouldnt have to take out the radio to get there, there should be 2 screws on the top of the black plastic surround in front of the steering wheel, and then that casing comes off... then from there just look around inside for the rest of the screws, its pretty obvious...

is this what ur talking about?:
but u want to change the color behind the speedo?

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=42571&toggle=fullsize&filename=silverdash.jpg' alt='' width='1600' height='1200' class='attach' />[/url] [/b][/quote]
Yeah you have to remove the radio... Unless you didnt place the bolts back when you took it out in the first place...lol Have you removed the panel before? By the look of the Brushed Steel look, seems like you have. Well, for the first time people, REMOVE THE RADIO! It's easier that way.

SABLESAL

·
Registered
40 Posts
ehem, sables must be different, u dont have to touch the radio in my car, i know there are 2 different dash between taurii.. i have a SHO style dash, (non-column-shift) it may be different i dunno. all i DO know is i didnt touch the radio, 2 screws visible on the Black Plastic shroud, then like 8 hex screws holdind the guages on... thats it

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
The process you did it was correct but since you have a Taurus with the floor-shift its not the same plus you have the climate radio so probably that why you didnt touch your radio. In the column shift you need to take out the radio then remove black panels surrounding like the radio and then take out the panel switch light then do the process you did in removing the screws. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ibanezfreek, I see the two screws in your picture and would agree that should be enough, but maybe it's different with a column shift. I'll have to check it out. That being said, is it the same as the Gen1&2 how-to, where you can just change the LED's instead of the white-faced gauges? If so, are they a plug-in or are they soldered in?
BTW, watch yourself if you're heading North. My son's a cop up in Lawrenceville/ Norcross. He'll be watchin' for your butt. :D

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by sable97@Jul 3 2004, 01:34 AM
The process you did it was correct but since you have a Taurus with the floor-shift its not the same plus you have the climate radio so probably that why you didnt touch your radio. In the column shift you need to take out the radio then remove black panels surrounding like the radio and then take out the panel switch light then do the process you did in removing the screws. ;)
It's not a Sable/Taurus thing it's a where the shifter is that is the the key to this issue. There was a discussion about this a month or so ago in another thread.

Like sable97 said if you have a floor shifter then you don't have to remove the radio and if you have the column shifter you need to remove the radio (don't understand why since i have a floor shifter myself).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
According to the Ford Service CD, the radio doesn't come out for a 00-03[with column shifter], but everything under the gauge cluster, including the column, has to come out/ apart !!! Maybe I can live with the ****** green or I'll wait until I have a completely uninterrupted day to spend on it. :(

S

·
0 Posts
Does anyone know where to get colored bulbs for bulb # 74? Let me know

Sal

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Sal did ypu check in Ebay? If not I'll look for ya

Frank.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Sal I found a site though but I am not sure if those are the 74 lights but it says 74 though so check it out.

Here you go, I found them on Ebay ;)

Bulbs 74

Frank.

S

·
0 Posts
WOW YOU ARE AMAZING! If you weren't a guy and this wasnt looked down upon... I would kiss you right now! LOL JK JK JK DONT GET ANY IDEAS PEOPLE!! LOL Thanks for the link.

SableSal

1 - 20 of 23 Posts