Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you change headlight bulbs on a GenIII? There was a thread about Silverstars that mentioned it, but different people had different info on how to do it. Some said you need to pull the whole assembly, others said you don't.

So how do I do it? Please post pics if you have any. It'll be easier for me to comprehend.

BTW, they're Matrix Bright White Xenon's. I got them as a gift with my CAI, so don't tell me I should have gotten Silverstars instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a plastic collar which unlocks the bulb from the headlight assembly. Rotate it CCW and it will come loose. Pulling straight back on the bulb will remove it from the headlight assembly. It is held in place by an o-ring and the aforementioned collar.

Not much to it.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Just a heads up on those bulbs:

If they're of the 80/100Watt type, don't install them. You will turn your harnesses into a plastic goop in a big hurry.

·
Registered
933 Posts
if they are 80/100 you can still use them, but you need to install a high wattage harness. installation is quite simple. there are 4 bolts you need to remove, 10mm I believe, three short ones, and one long one that attaches to the bottom, after you take the assembly off once, you will be able to do it again without any trouble. remove those 4 bolts, and the headlight will be lose, as mentioned before, remove the little plastic collar, and pull the bulb strait out. its just held in there by friction at this point.

·
Registered
933 Posts
the bolts that hold the headlight in are just about the only thing not labeled in this pic, it also only shows 2, there are 4 of them total. easy to spot though.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
getting the headlight out is simple... there are 4, 10 mm bolts.. and one of those bolts is LONG. Be soft though.. alot of plastic stuf there

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Originally posted by Racer X@Dec 15 2003, 09:42 AM
Just a heads up on those bulbs:

If they're of the 80/100Watt type, don't install them. You will turn your harnesses into a plastic goop in a big hurry.
Or they'll actually start melting the headlight assembly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts