Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so i was going through my owners manual to check for cranking amps on my battery, and i stumbled across a line that said when the battery is replaced, you need to teach the car to idle again.

the manual recommends turning everything off and then starting the car and letting it idle in park for one minute, then the computer will do everything else itself as you drive.

is this right? i had an olds cutlass that was slightly different, and i want to make sure i got the process right so i'm not dealing with a car that won't run after i replace the battery. i live about five hundred yards from the Ohio River, and i have a short temper. i doubt my car knows how to swim, and if it doesn't run right after battery replacement i'm liable to be inclined to teach it.

any input would be great. thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Start the car and let it idle in Park. Shift to rev and let it idle. Turn on A/C while still in revers. Shift to Park with the A/C still on and let it idle.

About 15 seconds each time.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
When I got mine, the only thing that Sears had for my car with the Diehard Gold, and I think it was like $85 or so, but since I have a Sears card, I got a free Diehard cooler with it!

JR

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hehe. yeah i'll probably get a diehard, but i dunno. i may get a little cheapie from walmart or something. depends on how much they're gonna be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys, Just thought I'd throw in my two cents...You should really look into a Optima, If you have a fair amount of power pulling mods, it is a real drain on the old lead plate batts. I run an Optima Yellow Top mounted in a batt box in the trunk, with one gauge wires running all the way to the front. You'll need at least 850 cca's to over come the distance. also, you may want to think about a 100+amp.alt. P.S. the Yellow Top is a deep cycle starting Battery. $145.00 to $175.00 depending where you shop

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Alot of people dont realize you have to reteach the car. On chryslers for the first 5-10 miles you have to reprogram the transmission by shifting it manually at certain points, and then driving it like you usually due for 2 miles, then bring it on the highway. I tried this with my taurus for the hell of it and the tranny doesnt stumble nearly as much as it used to, its always right there in the gear I want. As for batteries I've always had great luck with Diehard Golds, all the other diehards are crap...the guy at sears said they had a crapload of returns on the cheaper ones. I'm running a Walmart battery now because my battery crapped out at 2am on at 0 degrees at a movie theater...i had no choice but wal-mart....Its an ok battery but i've been jumped a few times, it drains easy. The motorcraft battery that was in my car was original with the car, and died over the winter....8 years for a battery, I'll take that anyday especially with the cold starts up here. Motorcraft or DieHard Gold, I wont change to Optima until the ones the family has been using for who knows how long let me down.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
I dunno whats so bad about a Walmart battery. I got like 2nd one up from the cheapest they had and i got 2 amps, 2 sets of fogs, and a cd changer. Let alone the rest of the electronics in the car. Have had music playing loud for 4 hours or so while painting a garage and shake for a couple days, have had it playing loud down the road, and have had my lights on for a couple hours or so with music on playing basketball 1 in the morning with someone one night. And it still starts strong. Had it since just before last winter. Not getting defensive or anything. I know walmart is cheap and doesnt sell top. But cant see why everyones talking down walmart batteries like they'll start your car a couple times and after that your lucky.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts