Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey soon I am going to be changing my battery, but the battery group size is a 36r. Those are like gone! lol I am wondering if I can change to another battery group size...like a group 34 battery. I know I will need to install the tray for that battery. My second question is will that tray fit the OE tray that is currently holding my 36r battery? I know it is kind of confusing but clarify please..since im rambling on and on, on this forum lol.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Hey soon I am going to be changing my battery, but the battery group size is a 36r. Those are like gone! lol I am wondering if I can change to another battery group size...like a group 34 battery. I know I will need to install the tray for that battery. My second question is will that tray fit the OE tray that is currently holding my 36r battery? I know it is kind of confusing but clarify please..since im rambling on and on, on this forum lol.
I know when I replaced my battery less than a year ago Walmart carried the correct size. It's made by Johnson Controls, and Walmart has warranties on their car batteries. You also get a core return if you still have your old battery.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I want to get an optima red top and a optima yellow top for the trunk but the closest size is a 34 group. I need it because my current battery is three years old and if I buy a battery for the back and install it, then it will deplete the starting battery and the new battery. So yeah. That's where my dilemma is

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Is your current battery failing? 3 years isn't necessarily the normal life span for a car battery.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you have an O'reilly's they should have a 36R on hand ant if they don't there's no reason why they couldn't order you one. Get a battery that fits, not one that'll work. Improper fitting batteries are a safety and fire issue. Also, 3 years is a bit short for a battery's life. I'm going on 7 years with my battery and I live in North Dakota and my car never sees the inside of a garage, even in the dead of winter.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
If you have an O'reilly's they should have a 36R on hand ant if they don't there's no reason why they couldn't order you one. Get a battery that fits, not one that'll work. Improper fitting batteries are a safety and fire issue. Also, 3 years is a bit short for a battery's life. I'm going on 7 years with my battery and I live in North Dakota and my car never sees the inside of a garage, even in the dead of winter.
It's actually heat that kills a battery. In cold states they tend to last longer. I've gotten between 6-8 years on a battery, but I've heard they might only last 3-5 years in a southern state where it gets pretty hot.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
It's actually heat that kills a battery. In cold states they tend to last longer. I've gotten between 6-8 years on a battery, but I've heard they might only last 3-5 years in a southern state where it gets pretty hot.
And even that isn't a hard and fast rule. I had at least five years on a Bosch battery in my F-250, and it was used when we got the truck, not to mention it already looked a couple of years old.

·
Administrator
14,946 Posts
I used to get 5-7 years out of a battery but in the last 10 years that seems to have changed. 5 now seems to be a stretch. My last couple were replaced under prorated warranty.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Lately I've seen batteries go quite a while around here. Just replaced one that was 11 years old. Stock battery in a focus.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Really? So you've never had your battery freeze or get so cold that it can't put out it's rated CCA. I'm talking -50 F ambient temps here. Tell me some more how cold has no effect on batteries.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Really? So you've never had your battery freeze or get so cold that it can't put out it's rated CCA. I'm talking -50 F ambient temps here. Tell me some more how cold has no effect on batteries.
I don't think it's been lower than -10 here. Also in terms of killing the battery, the heat bakes the life out of it during the summer so that when you need the power in the winter, it's not there. I was really talking about how batteries in cold states tend to last longer than batteries in a hot state. When your battery actually dies is another story. Also remember that CCA is at 0 degrees and only for 30 seconds. If you're at -50, you're going to get less amps and the amount of current you need to start the car is going to go up.

Here's a fun CCA calculator: Bowling's Battery Cold-Cranking Amp Temp Adjuster

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My battery works fine. I'm just going to put a system in my car and I don't want to strain my 3 year old battery....I rather get one starting battery for the hood and a deep cycle battery for the trunk. I just want both batteries to be from the same company or manufacture

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I used to get 5-7 years out of a battery but in the last 10 years that seems to have changed. 5 now seems to be a stretch. My last couple were replaced under prorated warranty.
Also my experience except I could get almost 10 out of a new Motorcraft Battery. Not happy so far with the hecho in mexico version.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts