Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

I Wanted to say thanks for the help for all the people who helped me with my questions in the other posts.

When I changed out my old motorcraft plugs today I dont think the ford tech gapped them, they where like .55 - .56 just like the new ones out of the box....

The new motorcraft ones i gapped to .45 ish ......... (the engine, book and forums said .44 to .46

Could the gap have gotten that far apart in 75,000 KM?....

Another thing I did was test the wires with my meter...

The front 3 wires where perfect 1500-1750 ohms

However the back 3 wires I could not get a reading on at all.. I tryed all the settings on my meter (i dont know what they all do ) but not a single reading on the back wires.... I dont know maybe they are longer can my meter cant handle it?

I think if the back 3 wires where Toast the car would have run like a bag of **** or not at all right .....

Thanks

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Cool, nice work.

Yeah the gap could have opened up to that after 75K km. I'll hazard to say it probably didn't make much difference even if they didn't gap them, though. For this application, 0.01" just ain't that much of a difference.

Possibly you needed to change the scale on your ohmmeter? Definitely, if all 3 rear wires had a break in them you'd know it. :)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The wires have 1.5Kohm resistors inside for radio interference compliance. If those resistors burn off, they usually will develop a small "gap" in their resistive film. Your ohmmeter generates some 1.9V at the terminals so it would NOT "jump" across any gaps. The meter will think they are of infinite resitance.
But the 20-35000 V from the coils will "jump" that gap. It will generate a "spark" inside the wires. Sure that will put a higer strain on the coils and deliver less energy into cylinders, but it will "jump" and deliver the left-over energy to the spark plug tip.
Of course, the best thing is to replace those wires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts