1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my plugs and wires:

Autolite Double Platinum Plugs AUTOLITE Part # APP104
Belden NAPA 8mm wires

and I'm still getting a slight miss here and there at idle. It's not at a rhythm and it's just here and there but I can hear it. Sort of syncopated here and there.

Is this normal? It's not a steady miss but I hear it. It's most audible at the exhaust.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well I just checked the resistance of these wires and they're RESISTOR wires (around 8k-11k on some others). I don't think that's right because the plugs are also Resistor Plugs (AUTOLITE part # listed in above post - they read around 4.5k for what that's worth).

It seems like Resistor plugs need non-resistor wires to work properly. I know on Mercedes forums they're very picky about that with their cars and mis-firing problems. I would think that it'd apply to any ignition system.

I know the wires I took off (not the originals) were NOT resistor wires.

But maybe this doesn't matter. I don't know everything! I'm a diesel guy. I'm still getting used to spark plugs again.

·
Registered
562 Posts
hmmm, could be a lot of things but I don't think it's your plug wires but I could be wrong ;). As long as you're messing with the plugs a compression test is quick and easy (cheap) to do which could tell you a lot about the cylinder conditions. I guess I would go to your nearest tune-up shop or if you know someone with an engine analyzer with a scope it wouldn't take long to find out if it's the same cylinder missing every time. Can you tell if it does it under load too? Have someone put it in gear with the brakes on and load it up while you listen from the back.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you tell if it does it under load too? Have someone put it in gear with the brakes on and load it up while you listen from the back.
I put the E-brake on and put it in Reverse when cold started this morning and I could actually feel a miss. It has a shake to it. This happens every time. If I let it warm up the miss goes away.

I have an oscilloscope. So I suppose I could do some diagnostics. I don't know too much about using it on a car though. I'd have to read up online I suppose.

The place that had it in being worked on when I bought it said they found exhaust gasses in the coolant with a test tool. It doesn't smoke (steam at the exhaust) or overheat (had a hole in the reservoir when I bought it but hasn't overheated since I fixed it). So it could have a blown head gasket if their tool and usage of it are correct. I don't have a compression test (other than a Diesel Comp tester... might work if I get the right connector for the spark plug hole) but I guess maybe I should get a tester and check this out.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I'm not sure this is the same thing you're talking about, but I own two Vulcan Tauruses (an '02 and an '04) and they both have a very slight "bobble" at idle when warmed up. When my '02 was under warranty (and before I bought my '04) I took it to Ford service and they said it was normal, which is the conclusion I've reached from owning two virtually identical cars. Every, say, 0.5 to 3 seconds, the idle speed drops very slightly, maybe 50 RPM or so (barely enough to register on the tach) and then it comes back up. There's no loud backfiring noise or anything, but I could see describing it as a "miss" in a way. I've never listened at the exhaust but I suppose if you know someone else with a similar car maybe you could listen to theirs if you think this might be all that it is.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Probably the best thin you can do is run stock Motorcraft wires. However, since you have the miss before and after replacing plugs and wires, perhaps your miss is caused by something else.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure this is the same thing you're talking about, but I own two Vulcan Tauruses (an '02 and an '04) and they both have a very slight "bobble" at idle when warmed up. When my '02 was under warranty (and before I bought my '04) I took it to Ford service and they said it was normal, which is the conclusion I've reached from owning two virtually identical cars. Every, say, 0.5 to 3 seconds, the idle speed drops very slightly, maybe 50 RPM or so (barely enough to register on the tach) and then it comes back up. There's no loud backfiring noise or anything, but I could see describing it as a "miss" in a way. I've never listened at the exhaust but I suppose if you know someone else with a similar car maybe you could listen to theirs if you think this might be all that it is.
Yeah it's just a little pop (not loud but there) at the exhaust once in a while. It's like a tiny back fire. It's not a perfectly smooth rhythm. I hear pops every few seconds. I started it cold this morning and there was a slight shake too. This only happens when it's cold started. I just changed the plugs and wires so time will tell if that's a problem or not.

And yes, I've owned a few Tauruses. My parents have owned several too. I'll have to ask my dad to give theirs a listen. My past cars seemed to have it too if I recall. But they were high mileage so maybe that's why. Who knows.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
The other thing you can do is go to a local used car dealership and "test drive" one back to your house for inspection. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
hey,my 2006 has the same problem,if you want to call it that,the car has been that way since new,it now has over 46,000 miles and still does it,if anyone can figure it out,please let me know too.thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wonder if Ford has made some revisions to the ECM? It might be worth it to see if you can get them to get all the latest updates programmed into the ECM.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you could go down to AutoZone or Napa and get a diagnostics and see what codes are coming out that would be an even bigger help. It could be that you have a bad cylinder, or coil. Maybe the IAC valve was jiggled when you installed the plugs and wires (I know that sometimes the install on the back wires can bump the IAC valve. It could also be your idle or fuel pump/filter. Getting the codes first saves a lot of time and money and most places will do it for free. Also check your plugs. Sometimes you can get a bad one and if its going in a cylinder that's misfiring that could cause you problems also. But see what codes are spewing out first then go from there. Good Luck:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts