Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed my cabin air filter yesterday, but when I put the plastic cowl back on, it would not stay flush against windshield. I've made sure that all the plastic clips get into the right place. But the plastic thing just would not conform perfectly against windshield.

I tried 3M weatherstrip glue (nasty black stuff btw), but the problem is the whole cowl always had a tendency to tilt up, moving away from the windshield so the glut would not be able to keep it on the windshield.

I've never had water leak before, and I'm very worried about it right now. What should I do?

Should I take the cowl off again and apply glue on, then reinstall it? Or I may just use cotton swab to apply some more glue on the surface and try again by pushing the cowl against the windshield for longer?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
In the middle of the cowl, did you make sure you installed both piece together? There is what I call a tongue piece that slips into one another. If not installed properly it will cause part of the cowl in the middle to lift. The cowl should sit flush back against the windshield unless something isn't aligned properly.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW, is there any sealing material that I can just apply to the gap (not a large one, any be 2-3 mm, only couple of cm long). This is an old 2nd hand car that I plan to keep for maybe 2-3 yrs, so I don't intend to spend a whole bunch on changing new parts etc.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the middle of the cowl, did you make sure you installed both piece together? There is what I call a tongue piece that slips into one another. If not installed properly it will cause part of the cowl in the middle to lift. The cowl should sit flush back against the windshield unless something isn't aligned properly.
Initially it's tilted up more but I aligned the 4 tongue clips and pushed it down and the majority of the cowl is pushing against windshield. Just maybe a couple of cm that leaves a 2-3 mm gap. It's mainly the rubber edge that warped a little bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My solution to this problem was 3/4 inch black electrical tape. Just run it so about half is on the windshield and half is on the cowl. If you need to replace the cabin filter it will come off easily and if it pulls away at some point, just pull the strip off and replace it. The cowl and windshield are black in that area so non-shiny tape looks the best, but shiny isn't that noticable.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
Black RTV to seal the small gaps. If you need to remove the cowl again, slice thru the RTV with a razor blade.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts