Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Have 01 Taurus SE. It had a chirping noise, so I swaped out the cam synchronizer. Now the car wont start. Had to remove spark plug 1 to get the car to TDC before install.

Even if the cam synchronizer is out of gear, shouldnt the car still turn over and start at least? I've looked all over and everything is plugged in. Could I have possibly damaged spark plug #1? Im at a complete loss here...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, it will run even if the syncronizer is out of sync. You do need it installed for the oil pump to run though. It should even run with the number one plug broken. You need to see if the MIL is turning off during cranking and also if you have fuel and spark and go from there. You will eventually find the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bought new plugs, all get spark. The car is just about to turn over then stops.

I turned the crank by hand just to make sure is wasnt seized up. Also went over sensors/plugs to make sure I didnt bump anything.

My question is even if I put the cam synch in and messed up TDC, this out of timing in would no away affect the car turning over? Also does the cam sensor also effect the engine turning over? Maybe its bad....

At a complete loss here as all I messed with was spark plug 1, turning the crankshaft, and replacing synch.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Without the cam sensor the engine can still run, but it will bank fire the fuel injectors.

I do believe however, that it may need multiple start attempts in succession to start up.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I turned the crank by hand just to make sure is wasnt seized up.
To make sure what wasn't seized up? The syncro or the engine? Are you saying that when you turn the key the starter isn't even spinning the motor or that the engine is turning and it's just not starting?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bought new plugs, all get spark. The car is just about to turn over then stops.

I turned the crank by hand just to make sure is wasnt seized up. Also went over sensors/plugs to make sure I didnt bump anything.

My question is even if I put the cam synch in and messed up TDC, this out of timing in would no away affect the car turning over? Also does the cam sensor also effect the engine turning over? Maybe its bad....

At a complete loss here as all I messed with was spark plug 1, turning the crankshaft, and replacing synch.
So the car doesnt turn over? Radio on while working on the car? Jump start it :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts