Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am changing the Halfshafts on my 97 SHO and noticed a small leak around my AX4N transmission pan. I am thinking since i have the car up and apart, I should change that gasket too. I read on the forums that the gasket and filter come as one package from AutoZone. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I don't want to flush it because i am still working on the halfshafts now but if that is the best solution for correcting this with minimal stress on the transmission i can do it. I really don't want to cause the transmission to prematurely fail because of a flush ( i read that it may cause it to fail). After removing the halfshafts some of the transmission fluid drained out so i have to replace that liquid anyway. Any advice would be helpful. thanks.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (Tanker1975 @ Jul 8 2009, 10:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737922
So I am changing the Halfshafts on my 97 SHO and noticed a small leak around my AX4N transmission pan. I am thinking since i have the car up and apart, I should change that gasket too. I read on the forums that the gasket and filter come as one package from AutoZone. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I don't want to flush it because i am still working on the halfshafts now but if that is the best solution for correcting this with minimal stress on the transmission i can do it. I really don't want to cause the transmission to prematurely fail because of a flush ( i read that it may cause it to fail). After removing the halfshafts some of the transmission fluid drained out so i have to replace that liquid anyway. Any advice would be helpful. thanks.[/b]
BUY A BETTER GASKET. THE GASKET THAT COMES WITH MOST OF THE FILTER KITS IS 100% CRAP.

I should know. I ended up with a PUDDLE of MERCON V under my Taurus.... AND IT WAS EMPTY.

I put a FelPro on it and called it done.

Be forewarned. If your pan has little metal standoff's on it, make sure to remove the metal inserts from the gasket prior to mounting it. It WILL NOT SEAL otherwise.

Also.....

How many miles on it?

Do you have documentation of the 30k being done every 30k?

Have you noticed that the fluid is varnished?

If over 100K on #1 no to #2 or yes to #3 Chances are.. your transmission is on its way out.

If <100K Yes to #2 or no to #3, doing the Transflush as per the method prescribed in the topic finder is your best bet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Jul 9 2009, 05:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738164
QUOTE (Tanker1975 @ Jul 8 2009, 10:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737922
So I am changing the Halfshafts on my 97 SHO and noticed a small leak around my AX4N transmission pan. I am thinking since i have the car up and apart, I should change that gasket too. I read on the forums that the gasket and filter come as one package from AutoZone. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I don't want to flush it because i am still working on the halfshafts now but if that is the best solution for correcting this with minimal stress on the transmission i can do it. I really don't want to cause the transmission to prematurely fail because of a flush ( i read that it may cause it to fail). After removing the halfshafts some of the transmission fluid drained out so i have to replace that liquid anyway. Any advice would be helpful. thanks.[/b]
BUY A BETTER GASKET. THE GASKET THAT COMES WITH MOST OF THE FILTER KITS IS 100% CRAP.

I should know. I ended up with a PUDDLE of MERCON V under my Taurus.... AND IT WAS EMPTY.

I put a FelPro on it and called it done.

Be forewarned. If your pan has little metal standoff's on it, make sure to remove the metal inserts from the gasket prior to mounting it. It WILL NOT SEAL otherwise.

Also.....

How many miles on it?

Do you have documentation of the 30k being done every 30k?

Have you noticed that the fluid is varnished?

If over 100K on #1 no to #2 or yes to #3 Chances are.. your transmission is on its way out.

If <100K Yes to #2 or no to #3, doing the Transflush as per the method prescribed in the topic finder is your best bet.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the advice.
There is <100K on it, no i don't have the documentation for the 30K, and when I removed the drivers side halfshaft and the fluid was draining from that, it was a dark black/brownish red. Is that what you mean by varnished?
If my transmission is on its way out, would a filter and oil change prolong this?

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
My advice is 1: finish the half shaft job, 2: Do a DIY tranny flush as stated in the forum or sent me a p.m. and I will tell you how to do it.(don't worry about flushing unless you take it to a tranny place were they do it with a machine to force fluid out) 3: Replace filter and gasket if you must but use a quality gasket not the one in the filter kits (My best advice would be to buy it at the dealer those are reusable) 4: Install an aftermarket tranny cooler or a gen 2 tranny cooler. (that will help your tranny from frying and you'll get many many miles out of your tranny)
Just so you know my 97 sho has 195,000 miles with original engine and tranny. (Its all about maintenance) B)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Don't use a cork gasket. Get a factory one, they are reusable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (SHOMEX @ Jul 9 2009, 10:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738199
My advice is 1: finish the half shaft job, 2: Do a DIY tranny flush as stated in the forum or sent me a p.m. and I will tell you how to do it.(don't worry about flushing unless you take it to a tranny place were they do it with a machine to force fluid out) 3: Replace filter and gasket if you must but use a quality gasket not the one in the filter kits (My best advice would be to buy it at the dealer those are reusable) 4: Install an aftermarket tranny cooler or a gen 2 tranny cooler. (that will help your tranny from frying and you'll get many many miles out of your tranny)
Just so you know my 97 sho has 195,000 miles with original engine and tranny. (Its all about maintenance) B)[/b]
do i even have to change the filter? I was only going to if it came together with the gasket.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
do i even have to change the filter?

Do you change the oil filter when you do an oil change? If yes then change the tranny filter while you're at it. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (SHOMEX @ Jul 9 2009, 06:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738319

Do you change the oil filter when you do an oil change? If yes then change the tranny filter while you're at it. :rolleyes2:[/b]
Always change the tranny filter on a fluid change. The filter actually lasts a useful life of 15,000 miles. and your running it till 30,000 miles. do the math on the particulate build up.

Also, i used the pro-king. it was 100% crap. Make sure you get an OEM reusable or Fel-Pro.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (SHOMEX @ Jul 9 2009, 03:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738319

Do you change the oil filter when you do an oil change? If yes then change the tranny filter while you're at it. :rolleyes2:[/b]
But one does not change the air oil when changing the air filter. :rolleyes2: :rofl2:

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Jul 10 2009, 03:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738418
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jul 9 2009, 06:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738201
Don't use a cork gasket. Get a factory one, they are reusable.[/b]

He can get a Motorcraft kit from Rockauto.com instead of the cheap Made in China crap :)

But they arent resusable :(
[/b][/quote]

For successive changes it won't matter after he has the good gasket.

QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Jul 10 2009, 03:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738417

But one does not change the air oil when changing the air filter. :rolleyes2: :rofl2:
[/b][/quote]
> 60years a go you could with oil bath air filter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_filter.
And now you can with AEM and K&N filters. They do get oil. :ph34r:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (thesavo @ Jul 10 2009, 06:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738420
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Jul 10 2009, 03:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738418
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jul 9 2009, 06:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738201
Don't use a cork gasket. Get a factory one, they are reusable.[/b]

He can get a Motorcraft kit from Rockauto.com instead of the cheap Made in China crap :)

But they arent resusable :(
[/b][/quote]

For successive changes it won't matter after he has the good gasket.

QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Jul 10 2009, 03:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738417

[/b][/quote]
> 60years a go you could with oil bath air filter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_filter.
And now you can with AEM and K&N filters. They do get oil. :ph34r:
[/b][/quote]

The only time you get Air Oil from AEM and K&N's if your incompetent enough to actually soak the filter in oil. If you oil it properly you wont have the issue. I'm sick of people putting down these products due to incompetence. I run a Oiled air filter and have no issues, no build up and no oil residue!!!

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Jul 10 2009, 01:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738390

Always change the tranny filter on a fluid change. The filter actually lasts a useful life of 15,000 miles. and your running it till 30,000 miles. do the math on the particulate build up.

Also, i used the pro-king. it was 100% crap. Make sure you get an OEM reusable or Fel-Pro.
[/b][/quote]
Source for 15k mile filter lifespan? Transmission filter changes aren't in the scheduled maintenance guide, and if you have the fluid flushed at a shop or the dealer, they won't even drop the pan unless it's leaking or you specifically request that the filter be changed. If the filter was shot after 15k miles, it would be in the scheduled maintenance list just like the oil filter (even the cabin filter is on there).

Even so, it's definitely something you should change while you're in there. Some people clean them and reuse the same filter. I've never pulled out a remotely dirty or clogged filter from my car (but like I said, change it anyway while you're there). The last time I was in there the transmission had ~95k on it. Most of the particles are picked up by the magnet in the pan anyway.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Jul 13 2009, 11:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739108
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Jul 10 2009, 01:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738390

[/b][/quote]
Source for 15k mile filter lifespan? Transmission filter changes aren't in the scheduled maintenance guide, and if you have the fluid flushed at a shop or the dealer, they won't even drop the pan unless it's leaking or you specifically request that the filter be changed. If the filter was shot after 15k miles, it would be in the scheduled maintenance list just like the oil filter (even the cabin filter is on there).

Even so, it's definitely something you should change while you're in there. Some people clean them and reuse the same filter. I've never pulled out a remotely dirty or clogged filter from my car (but like I said, change it anyway while you're there). The last time I was in there the transmission had ~95k on it. Most of the particles are picked up by the magnet in the pan anyway.
[/b][/quote]

Its just through my experience... :dunno:

I guess I always end up with the thAnX4Nothings....... :glare:

·
Premium Member
207 Posts

Ok, let me try to understand your point, 1) because in the service manual doesn't say to change tranny fluid and filter (you dont have to do it?) If thats the case let me tell you that you are wrong and let me give you an example: Ford said to never weld the cams on the V8 sho because there was no problem with the cams and you should know the rest by now.

As per the flush comment: dealers or transmission shops wont always do whats best for your car, they will and always do whats best for their wallets. :(

But to each its own, if you dont feel that replacing the tranny fluid is necessary thats fine I just dont want other people to think its not necesary and then pay the price when they have to rebuild theirs. :angry:
Im out, peace. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for all the great advice. i was looking over the "How To" for changing the tranny fluid and was wondering, do i have to have the car on and drain it or can i, since i have it up on jacks now, just drop the pan and drain?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
You have to have the car on to power the trans pump if you're going to do the method specified in the write-up. If you're changing the filter, then have it off.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts