Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can someone answer a questain for me?
Is it possible to put an engine from a 1990 Taurus in a 1993-95 Taurus? Will the trans from the 93-95 matchup to the 90 engine?
The 90 taurus has a bad trans and body, the 93-95 is in great shape, but bad motor.
Thank you

·
Registered
470 Posts
As long as both cars use the same motor, it shouldnt be a problem, but dont quote me on that.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I know that it was either '89 or '90 when they switched the motors. Both the Vulcan and the Essex got a facelift (valve covers on the Vulcan and intake manifold on Essex) and maybe some revisions (I'm not sure what was upgraded to make it better). But don't use the tranny from the '90. 1990 was the worst year for the AXOD-E.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I put a '95 vulcan in my '86 a few years back. Had to switch some sensors and the upper intake and the exhaust manifolds, but it fit and functioned perfectly!!!!!
I also installed an '02 vulcan into my DAD'S '96 Ranger several months ago after a flood that caused us to lose a rod from cyl. #6 AND a '96GL, that locked up. (ins. total)
The only thing I would worry about is if the older engines' emmission ratings are as strict as your newer car. In certain states like Cali., and Tx., etc. where emmissions are getting pretty strict it may make a difference, BUT, from what I have seen in past experiences it shouldn't be a big problem. Just take your time with removal and such, if you haven't done a swap before *take pics* so you can see how it goes back together. When you get the original engine out set it next to the *new* one and compare EVERYTHING!!!!!! That way all the sensors and stuff are visible. Engine swaps are not really *hard*, just take your time and don't rush!!!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@May 31 2004, 10:38 PM
But don't use the tranny from the '90. 1990 was the worst year for the AXOD-E.
Actually '91 was the worst year. You could have issues with the tranny though because '90 would still be AXOD and 93-95 would be AXOD-E / AX4S. So you might need to swap computers and certain other electronic parts to get everything to work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.