Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Taurus LX with the column shifter, i also have a 6 disc cd changer in my trunk that i wanted to move to the front for easy disc changing when i had an idea, is it possible to either make my own or pull a center console without the shifter and mount it in my lx? reason i like it is that it has the box for the cd changer right there, so all i need to do is run the wires from the back to the front, and in place of the gaping hole in the center where the other cars shifter would have been i could make another cup holder or some kind of interface to missile launcher perhaps? and does anyone know where i could get one, make one, steal one?

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
In short, yes Ive seen it done before...

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
To swap in a floor shift console, the easiest is to use the correct Gen as your car. With a Gen4 its a very easy swap. There are 4 bolts that hold your fold down console / arm rest to the bracket on the floor and 4 holding the bracket to the floor. The floor shift console is held down with 6 bolts in the donor car, but you will only need to use the 4 main bolts at the mounting bracket. The other 2 are along the side at the shifter. BE SURE to get the mounting bracket with the floor console or you will be running back trying to find it again.

You have 2 choices to mount your CD player. I have seen them mounted in the console under the arm rest. The other way is to make a custom enclosure where the shifter opening is. I took and made mine into a gauge panel. I did a write up on how I filled in the hole if you want to look that up. You may also want to look through Gen4 sables, there are more of them with floor shifters than taurus.

Here are a couple pics to show what I did.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
That looks fuckin sweet, wheres the cup holders though? lol
Thanks for the tip on the mounting brackets i will make sure to take them as well :)
THANKS. This console is out of a sable, in the black pocket it has a flip out cup holder divider, all the taurus consoles here have the molded cup holder and I just wanted that one more little thing to be different. That console has helped me get extra points at car shows also this year.

One other point, dont even think about trying to add the rear vent through the console, you will have to take the dash apart to change over 1 section of duct to have the T for the rear vent. I am thinking of things now to change that as well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol i was actualy thinking about that vent when i saw the pics and wondered if ya had it running or not, hey i have a chance at getting parts from a 97 taurus, what would i be able to use from it in my 2000? center console? side skirts?

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
The console out of a '97 (Gen3) wouldnt fit right in your 2000. You may be able to get it to look good, but I dont know about the mounting on that. I think you can use the side skirts for a different look, not sure though. I really dont think there is much you can use on the '97 in your car. I looked for almost a year to find a clean enough console that I could use since I do show the car.As it turned out, I had to order special paint to try and match the colors also.

My other problem was finding the gauges, I wanted a digital trans temp gauge and there are only a few made I found out Alot of companies make an analog trans gauge, but those only go down to 100, the digital goes to 30.

I think if you do it right, your CD player would look good in the shifter opening and it would be easy to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to correct one thing...we have a 2001 SEL with the floor shifter and we have the same type cup holders that you show on the Sable console, so they did use that system in the Taurus too. Frankly we'd rather have a molded holder as this setup has great trouble holding on to bottles when braking!

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Just to correct one thing...we have a 2001 SEL with the floor shifter and we have the same type cup holders that you show on the Sable console, so they did use that system in the Taurus too. Frankly we'd rather have a molded holder as this setup has great trouble holding on to bottles when braking!
THANKS, I have never seen that console in a taurus around here, only in the sables. I havent had any poblem with it holding onto single or double items yet. The built in "stops" that hold the arm are very strong still, like it was never really used much.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
The molded cup holder console started on the 2003 models. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.