Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 2005 SE last week. CEL is on, but it ran fine.
Fast forward to today..get off work, stop at the house and then head out again. While driving, suddenly the idle gets worse, car vibrates like a pager. RPMs drop to around 500-600. Every time I stop, engine stalls out. Had to drive home keeping foot on the gas so it wouldn't stall. Soon as the vibration started and RPMs dropped, the AC stopped putting out cold air.

My best guess is the coil pack is shot. Dealer gave me a warranty, just have to take it to their shop for service. Will find out more tomorrow... but wanted to get some thoughts. Can't open the hood, pulling the handle under the dash, it doesn't seem to be connected? Weird. 165,000 miles...thinking it maybe never got a tune up. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
8,232 Posts
Get the codes and report back. Without codes, you are just guessing at the problem which will cost you big $$$ randomly replacing parts.

Reactions: jag1959

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
So you bought it with the CEL on? What type of warranty did it have? My warranty on a dealer bought had a $100 deductible so I took it in for a leaking timing cover and plugged heater core at the same visit. Got my money's worth on that warranty. Are you sure you are pulling the hood lever and not the parking brake? If you hear a click when you pull the hood lever then the hood maybe just sticking in the latch which happens to my Taurus. Well they had to open the hood to do any prep before the sell hopefully.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
377 Posts
Did you buy this without popping the hood? I inspect the engine first on any car I am looking at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did it pass inspection with the CEL on?
State Inspection has nothing to do with an Engine Light, as long as there are no leaks of fluids, brakes, suspension, seats, window, defrost, wipers, lights etc. A light being on doesn't fail it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts