Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The check engine light on my 2001 Duratec is on, but there are no codes when I check the OBD II with my scanner. Also, when I turn the headlights on, the CEL goes off. I reset the CEL using my scanner, but that made no difference. Any ideas about what's going on here?
Also, the check gas cap light is on, but, again, there are no codes. I replaced the gas cap with a new Motorcraft unit, but the light is still on. Any ideas about next steps?
Thank you!

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
The check engine light on my 2001 Duratec is on, but there are no codes when I check the OBD II with my scanner. Also, when I turn the headlights on, the CEL goes off. I reset the CEL using my scanner, but that made no difference. Any ideas about what's going on here?
Also, the check gas cap light is on, but, again, there are no codes. I replaced the gas cap with a new Motorcraft unit, but the light is still on. Any ideas about next steps?
Thank you!
The issue may be in the instrument cluster and/or the connections to it. Clue, HL on should not effect anything except the high beam light.
-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
^^^ Agree. Pull the cluster and disconnect the harness connector and look for damaged / corroded pins and disconnect / reconnect the connector a few times and see if the issue goes away. Sounds like some 12 V signal trying to find its lost ground thru the CEL.

Reactions: kekaye56

·
Registered
151 Posts
Or you've got an evap canister problem.
The system sees the leak volume as the same as a missing cap.
A dealer usually pressurizes the fuel tank with "smoke" in order to find the leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the responses. It took a while, but I finally got around to this. Here's what happened:

(1) I checked the EVAP sensor under the spare tire. Voltage to the sensor and continuity within the sensor were good.
(2) I visually inspected the hoses and lines on the EVAP canister, fuel filler tube, and fuel tank. Nothing looked wrong (although I'm not sure I would've been able to spot a leak unless it was really big).
(3). I removed the instrument cluster. Bingo. Two sets of connector tabs had "traveled" for some reason and were shorting against each other. I traced one tab to the "FUEL CAP" bulb and another to the "SERV ENG" bulb. Using a pocketknife, I separated both sets (the tabs are delicate). Now the check engine and fuel caps lights extinguish after start-up, and my scanner shows no CEL codes.

I've posted photos showing the two shorts in case it might help someone in the future. Thanks again to chartmaker, Jeff K, and jpohlman for the helpful input.
IMG_5788.jpg
IMG_5789.jpg
IMG_5790.jpg

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks. I have to change the light bulbs in my instrument panel shortly (2000 Vulcan), so thanks for the heads up.

If I take off the connectors (strictly speaking I think I don't have to) I'll be careful and double-check them.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Thanks. I have to change the light bulbs in my instrument panel shortly (2000 Vulcan), so thanks for the heads up.

If I take off the connectors (strictly speaking I think I don't have to) I'll be careful and double-check them.
I have done that a few times. See pic. Tip for saving pain. The HL, and one or two switches in the lower part of the cluster pop out and unplug before removal. When re-install, I put long strings on the plugs and put them through the holes in the cluster. When cluster is in place, I pull the connectors through the holes, plug in the switch, then pop them back in. Trying to plug them from behind will cause pain and blood. Experience.
-chart-

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts