Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question, but here it goes. My father in law's sable keeps popping a check engine light with a p0171 code. I replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and cleaned the MAF sensor but it keeps throwing a p0171 code. Please help, it's got me confused. The other thing I know about this car is that the tach flutters around 700-900 rpm's when at idle. I know it's in the zone, but it still is enough to piss me off, due to the CEL coming on, please help.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
You likely have a vacuum leak. Check all the vacuum hoses and spray water around the intake gaskets to detect if you have a leak.

·
Registered
25 Posts
use carb cleaner and scanner

You likely have a vacuum leak. Check all the vacuum hoses and spray water around the intake gaskets to detect if you have a leak.
What you need is to have a scanner hooked up and look at fuel data while spraying carburetor cleaner at the suspect vacuum leak areas.

Does it also show P0174?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will do the spray test tomorrow. Just out of curiousity, where are the common places to check on these engines. I know the intakes are composite on these,but I'm not sure of where these engines like to leak. And once in a while I have gotten the P0174 intermittently, but not very often. Just mainly p0171. I was just wondering the common places. The fluttering happens when warm to give a little more detail. I can tell by the tach, not the engine itself. The sound of the engine seems fine, but I think something is still wrong and am scratching my head with this concern. Everytime I tried to replace a part (fuel/air filters) or clean the MAF sensor, I would clear the code to see if it will come on. It takes about 3 weeks for it to come back on, but mainly the p0171 pops up, the p0174 has come up but not very often. Please help.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I know at least one person had lean codes, 171 and 174.
They replaced very old upstream 02 sensors and it solved the problem. Old sensors don't react as fast and can cause lean codes and misfires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
4 wheel disc brakes
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing