Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to the local u pull jy and came across a 2000 sable. I liked the center consul better then the one in my 07 taurus. ( better cup holder )
The consul had a cd changer installed in it. so i figured wth I will take it and install it in my taurus. I grabbed the harness and I am going to install it the proper way. But i have to take out the drivers seat to do so. I have read that if the seat has an airbag sensor I have to disconnect the battery and wait a half hour.
I have the cloth seat with no side airbag. so does this change the install? do i have a sensor for just the seat even though there is no side air bag?

·
Registered
150 Posts
YMMV..... I have removed my driver's seat many times (replaced manual seat with power seat, then re-skinned with leather) without ever disconnecting the battery. Can't say if this was the correct way to do it, but I've never experienced any problems. I swapped the bag sensor from one seat to the other. You can also remove the seat without disconnecting the sensor by pulling the sensor from the metal tab holding it in place under the seat. IIRC, the harness isn't mounted to the seat.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your response. i discovered that if i unhook the battery i wouldnt be able to use the power seat to move it forward to get to the back bolts. So i left the battery connected and unbolted the seat and left all wires attached. I just propped the seat up against the dash and was able to get under the carpet.
The new console was a direct fit and easy to install. Cd changer works perfect so far.
The cup holder and change holder is a different color (black) then the factory original console that came with the taurus (gray) it gets rid of the cheap feel imo. Plus with the adjustable cup holder it can hold my coffee mug now.
CD changer, harness and console cost $30.00, install time 1hr. (cleaned the carpet under the seat also)

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
since the install of the changer it has worked perfect, only problem is it won't play burned cd's. Does anyone know if other changers ( oem ford ) will play burned cd's and if so do you have a part number?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Are you using CD-RW or CD-R? If CD-R, are you "finalizing" the disc? I use home burned disks quite often (or did before I moved to streaming audio/mp3 player). I have both a factory in-dash CD and the 6-disc changer.

Also, make certain you aren't creating mp3 discs, which are just a collection of computer files; not an audio CD. While some CD players can read mp3 CDs, most older factory systems can't.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Some players do have a problem with CD-RW (re-writable). Try a CD-R and see if that fixes the issue. Make certain to finalize the disc rather than leaving the disc "open" for additional files.

Reactions: Bigdogg2830

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tybalt39 you nailed it right on the head. CD-R does play in my changer. Thank you for your help!!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Happy to be of assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts