Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my factory cd changer last week and i plan to attach it on the car. The guy from my ford dealer told me that for the 96 and up the changer is located verticaly on the left side in the trunk for sedan and in the right side for wagon.

Someone told me that it can also attach under the speaker in the trunk. But the clerk told me that there's no bracket for this.

The funny thing is that my wiring is coming from a GEN IV taurus and the changer seems to be under the front seat or in the center armrest (cannot be sure because the donor car have been cut in half and there was nothing left except the wiring harness and the carpet

Here's a picture of my cd changer

http://www.tauruscarclub.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14784/normal_1999%20cd%20changer.JPG' alt='' width='533' height='400' class='attach' />[/url]

As you can see with the "UP" Arrow i don't have the choice. Does someone have a picture of where it goes please.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
What gen taurus are you putting it into? The CD changers are different between the gen 3 and gen 4. All gen 3 changers were put in the trunk (not a big enough console) while gen 4's were either console or trunk mounted.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a Gen III Taurus and Cd changer is made the 2nd of august 1999. Wiring i got from GEN IV and is enough long to install the cd changer whereever i want

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
The gen 3 CD player is 10 in long (I just measured an extra one I got out of a 99). If the player is shorter, it's for a gen 4. If it's a gen 3, all you need are the 2 brackets, clips and screws to install it. The side facing you in the picture goes towards the back.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
My changer (Audiovox) can be mounted either horizontally or vertically using the same brackets. There is a screw on the side that needs to be turned (90 degrees) respective to the position in which the changer is to be mounted.

I mounted it horizontally on the package tray, just inside the trunk opening.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't like where the stock cd changer is mounted in the trunk of the GenIII's. It is out fo the way to be sure, but it's also subject to alot of suspension jarring in the wheel well. You could always mount it in the trunk hanging from the package tray. A few self tapping screws will secure it up there. As for a bracket, you can find some of those metal straps stereo installers use to secure stuff like headunits in the dash. A few small screws to secure the straps to those small holes in the side of the changer case and you're good to go. Those straps bend easily by hand if you need to contort it to make both sides even. If you go to a stereo install shop I would bet they might even carry some plastic brackets for a cleaner looking install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts