Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any information on how to test a CCRM? I am looking to test mine, and want to try and test all the insides of it. I was wondering if there was a way to do so without plugging it into a computer

·
Super Moderator
7,787 Posts
There is no testing I am aware of that requires "plugging it into a computer". The CCRM / IRCM is just a relay box with 5 high current relays in it along with a few simple timing circuits. CCRM / IRCM failures are fairly rare.

What issues are you having that make you think are related to the CCRM / IRCM?

·
Registered
93 Posts
CCRM failures are rare? I wish I felt the same. Seriously. :)

Mine are real old, though... I effectively have 3 Gen2 SHOs and at least one CCRM has failed since I've had these cars (I guess close to 8 years now) but yeah, there are specific symptoms when it fails, e.g. the fuel pump or radiator cooling fan (or other stuff) not operating correctly.

Here's a pinout for the CCRM connector for a 1995 SHO in case it helps you (yeah, it's just a relay box) non-SHO versions are similar:

So, yeah, what are your symptoms?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking ccrm due to the fact that the injectors are getting no power the IAC is no power, and I cannot get it to start whatsoever. It has to be something electrical

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, you are trying to diagnose a no-start? Have you pulled the codes?
I did try pulling codes. I bought my own scanner for it, and did push codes, both came back saying there was nothing wrong. I cant figure out why the hell the car wont start and it says the car is fine

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you hear the fuel pump run for 1-2 seconds after turning the ignition ON? Engine cranks normally in START?
I will check that today when I have time, last time I checked though, I did hear the fuel pump click, and it does seem to crank normally in the start position. I'm really at a huge loss. I'm about ready to pull everything on it honestly.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Have you tried a couple of shots of starting fluid to see if it tries to fire up. That will indicate the fuel system is suspect or electrical.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A failed crankshaft position sensor will give this behavior but it leaves codes behind, and can result in an intermittent CEL while in the process if dying.

And I guess I want to question your code reader... depending on the year/generation being interrogated, you should get a Code 11 or 111 if everything passes, I think it was around 1991 or 2 when they went from 2-digit to 3-digit codes..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
95 has three digit codes, and everything came back saying it was completely fine so I'm not sure what's wrong. I havent been able to find the crankshaft position sensor location yet. I have decided to pull the wire harness and check everything on it. I'm probably going to rebuild at this point.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's behind the timing belt cover on the SHO engine and is kind of a PITA to get to, not sure on the other engines but my guess would be something similar.

But the computer will tell you when that thing wigs out, so....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts