Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the timing cover gasket on a 2001 vulcan. I dropped the catalytic converter Y pipe inorder to remove the oil pan. On this car, the catylitic converter for the RH exhaust manifold is routed in front of the engine. I found that I couldn't snake the catalytic converter out due to inteference with the drive shaft and the engine block. My question: Is it necessary to remove the passenger side half shaft to remove the "Y" pipe from the car?

Thanks...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm attempting this same job this week, on an '01. What did you end up doing to get the cat/ Y-pipe out?

Doug

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I unbolted the Y-Pipe assy from the two exhaust manifolds and from the downstream component. I couldn't remove from under the car due to the interference with the half shaft. But, by lowering the y-pipe assy as far as could, I had the room I needed to remove the oil pan and timing chain cover.
Re-installing the Y-pipe was pretty tough. I raised the Y-pipe assembly into place using a floor jack while simultaneously lining up the bolts on both exhaust manifolds. It really helps to have a second person involved for that...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts