Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Ford Taurus Limited suffered a catastrophic failure of the rear knuckle on the drivers side. Fortunately nobody was hurt and the car was just 20 miles from home (thank goodness it didn't happen during our 3000 mile multi state trip a month ago!). The car has 143K on it when the knuckle broke leaving the lower control arm and shock disconnected from the knuckle and the wheel scrapping the underside of the wheel arch. My wife was driving the car at the time and she was travelling at low speed when this happened (20-25mph estimate).

I could use some advice on the repair. Attached is a photograph I took this morning, I have removed the broken knuckle and I am in the process of fitting a replacement used knuckle (what you see is the replacement);

My questions are;

a) Did my lower control arm get bent when the knuckle broke? You can see where the bushing attaches (yellow lines) and although I can move the knuckle up/down, there doesn’t seem to be movement left/right. Perhaps though this is ‘just how they look’ when connected to the shock and not to the knuckle and I need to ‘loosen everything up and then tighten everything down’.
b) Will I need to replace the shock also?

I will be replacing the sway bar link which was broken. If the sway bar proves to be bent also, I will of course be replacing that too.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me, my first time needing to fix this kind of problem so I have no idea what the norm might me (although I suspect breaking a knuckle is not the norm….on a car anyway!)

Thanks you for your help.

Mark (New Member)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All, I could REALLY use some help here. My car is STILL not back together. Is there a trick to getting all the pieces aligned? I have removed the lower control arm and it certainly does not seem, bent (Part No. 7f93-5A649-BA - stamped onto the arm itself). I am unable to find a replacement, this part number does not even appear to be recognized when a search the internet(close but no cigar!).

I am almost at the point of giving up and whacking it with a sledge hammer. Any other advice? I could really use some help.

Car is immobile, I can't even get it to the sip.

Thanks Mark.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts