Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since it sounds like I really do need to drop the Y pipe on the 87 wagon to replace the oil pan gasket, is there anything I should do with the "Y pipe". There is one catalytic converter on this car, this is the setup:

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/g...ernCat/30246.jpg&imagekey=1317648-0&width=450

Was going to throw on a new O2 sensor while I had it off using an AutoZone giftcard.

Should I stop at a muffler shop and let them "work their magic" with it since I live in a no emission/no safety inspection state?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
If you choose to go with the shop for a delete, I would tell that you need it back. Cut it open and pull the platinum, gice it a nice soak in a bucket with some brake clean, then recycle for a little cash.
When i did my old chevy I got $120 (It was a big cat)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there any side effects to doing this?

I have no idea what the long term prognosis is on this wagon, so putting a $300-400 new Y pipe in is insane at this time. maybe in a year or two if it proves to be roadworthy.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okey doke sounds good! There's a small hole in the muffler after 24 years from water dripping out of the back of it (the typical spot). Maybe a good time to toss on the duals from an 07 Mustang GT that I picked up awhile back...

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
You know that doing that (reducing the back pressure of exhaust), with the existing cam profile (overlaping), you will increase the scavenge of the fresh mixture at low rpm (you will send more fresh mixture out on exhaust)...
So, in end, you will increase also the consumption in city driving and possible will have a rougher idle.
To read.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
If you choose to go with the shop for a delete, I would tell that you need it back. Cut it open and pull the platinum, gice it a nice soak in a bucket with some brake clean, then recycle for a little cash.
When i did my old chevy I got $120 (It was a big cat)
You can't pull the platinum, and the cat is worth far more intact than as loose material. Anyone who pays good money for loose material is looking to get screwed, because you can't tell what kind of car it came from if if its even factory stuff. Besides, thats way too much work.

The shop often factors the value of the cat, which in your case isn't much, as part of the job. Let the shop keep it, asking for the cat back is like not leaving a tip at the restaurant.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Scotty Kilmer to the Rescue!!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
He doesn't want to "rescue" the cat, he wants more "umph" without it.
Like I said, he might gain something on top end and in the same time loose something at low end. His choice.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
how is pulling the platinum to much work? it took me 5 mins with a cut off wheel. recycle centers pay more if its pulled and do not care what car it came from. and why would i tip a muffler shop?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So from the looks of it, state law of SC dictates that I must call the county sheriff to obtain a permit to transport the old cat to a recycler, if I do ask for it back (which is my right).

I'm not looking to make money or get power. I just don't want to have a ticking time bomb (cat) have it start deteriorating and lodge parts of it in the engine.

However, I guess I will need the muffler dude to create a pipe to fill the void of the cat if I decide to just hack it off.And looking at that picture of it, looks like it's a major pain in the posterior. Or maybe not?

I think I read scrap prices are around 9-10/lb for cats.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
its much easier to have a shop fit a pipe and weld it in. a like the fact you need a permit to recycle the cat. up here in michigan and ohio you dont need one and needless to say alot of suvs and trucks get a night time visit from the cat fairy.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The cannot lodge parts of itself in the engine, nor is it a ticking time bomb. Cats only fail if the engine is poorly tuned or if they take direct physical damage. Some of the stories you hear of engine damage are the result of overheating, or in the case of certain Nissan's the catalyst can get into the engine due to defects in the valve timing setup.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I would take the hit and put in a new y-pipe. One of my cats is rattling around in the housing and has at least once caused my car to almost not start due to too much back pressure on one bank.

Yes, it will cost money, but the muffler shop will probably charge a fair amount to "custom" your current y-pipe after hacking out the old cats. I have learned that if you are going to fix it you should probably do it the right way if you hope to keep the vehicle for any length of time. (Otherwise you often end up paying for it twice.)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The cannot lodge parts of itself in the engine, nor is it a ticking time bomb. Cats only fail if the engine is poorly tuned or if they take direct physical damage. Some of the stories you hear of engine damage are the result of overheating, or in the case of certain Nissan's the catalyst can get into the engine due to defects in the valve timing setup.

Ahhh... yes, the QR25DE - Nissans finest peice of **** :lol2:. My friend has had his engine replaced and the catalyst, the engine was replaced due to the butterfly screws coming off in the variable intake runner and then the cats replaced due to the recall. STAY away from anything Nissan with a 2.5L 4-cyl unless you only want to own it for 70-80K.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wish I could take the hit, but I really need to apply those funds towards getting AC system charged and getting the car's alignment done. A custom pipe setup will hold me over...and the dude at the shop does great work, and works for peanuts so it won't be too bad :)

One of my neighbors has an Altima with the cat failure issue. That car sounds terrible.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK the cat has been uh "cleaned out". So looks all stock minus the inside contents. Pipe was rewelded back on and per the muffler dude, it was about clogged (imagine that after 20+ years).

I removed the O2 sensor and found it caked in carbon. Should I replace it? Or since the above happened...reinstall w/antiseize or trans fluid.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts