Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My car is 02 taurus with 58000mile on it so I think it still carries the 8year/80000mile warranty of emission part. Now the problem is I found the rear catalytic converter (under the seats) had been replaced by the previous owner. Can I go to ford dealer and ask to replace it? or let them replace the other two front converter only?

Any help will be appreciated

ZH

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
What exactly is wrong right now?

We have no idea of what's going on except that one of the cats has been replaced previously. We need more information.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

We have no idea of what's going on except that one of the cats has been replaced previously. We need more information.
[/b]
Check engine light is on. Cylinder 3 misfire. New wire set, new spark plugs, coil pack is OK.

My roommate, a mechanic, helped me check the car and told me the catalytic converter may be the source of the problem.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
Check engine light is on. Cylinder 3 misfire. New wire set, new spark plugs, coil pack is OK.

My roommate, a mechanic, helped me check the car and told me the catalytic converter may be the source of the problem.
[/b][/quote]
Well, your roommate doesn't know what he's talking about. Cats don't cause misfires, however misfires can cause the cats to fail. If you're sure the coil pack is fine, and you have new plugs and wires, then check the fuel system next - you could have a bad injector. One way you can check is to swap the #3 injector with one from another cylinder, clear the code, and wait for it to come back. If the code changes to the cylinder where you moved the #3 injector to, then you know the injector is no good. If the code stays them same, then the injector is fine, and you should check other things, like compression, vacuum leaks, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]
Well, your roommate doesn't know what he's talking about. Cats don't cause misfires, however misfires can cause the cats to fail. If you're sure the coil pack is fine, and you have new plugs and wires, then check the fuel system next - you could have a bad injector. One way you can check is to swap the #3 injector with one from another cylinder, clear the code, and wait for it to come back. If the code changes to the cylinder where you moved the #3 injector to, then you know the injector is no good. If the code stays them same, then the injector is fine, and you should check other things, like compression, vacuum leaks, etc.
[/b][/quote]

Oh, I see. Thanks

He explained to me that clogged cats may cause misfire. Could you tell me more about how misfires can cause cats failure?

Does it matter if I just let it be and still drive it couples of days? because I have a lot work to do these days and may not have time to deal with it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If a cylinder is misfiring, its dumping raw gas and air into the exhaust, which then gets combusted in the cat. That extra gas and air that shouldn't be there causes the cat to heat up to the point where the substrate that has the platinum/rare earth metals to melt and break up.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Clogged cats can make the engine run like crap, but it's not really a misfire. A clogged cat restricts the exhaust flow out of the engine, so if the exhaust can't get out, fresh air/fuel can't get in, so the engine can't run well. When it's bad enough, the engine will be so badly bogged down all the time that the car will barely move, and sometimes won't even run. When this is happening, the more you push down on the gas, the worse it gets. I drove a van once that was so bad, it would barely get down the road. One way to test for clogged cats is to remove the upstream O2 sensors, then drive it. It will be loud, but if it drives better, that's an indication that the cats are clogged. Removing the upstream sensors provides an escape route for the exhaust gas, so that the engine can breathe again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If a cylinder is misfiring, its dumping raw gas and air into the exhaust, which then gets combusted in the cat. That extra gas and air that shouldn't be there causes the cat to heat up to the point where the substrate that has the platinum/rare earth metals to melt and break up.
[/b]
Thanks.

Clogged cats can make the engine run like crap, but it's not really a misfire. A clogged cat restricts the exhaust flow out of the engine, so if the exhaust can't get out, fresh air/fuel can't get in, so the engine can't run well. When it's bad enough, the engine will be so badly bogged down all the time that the car will barely move, and sometimes won't even run. When this is happening, the more you push down on the gas, the worse it gets. I drove a van once that was so bad, it would barely get down the road. One way to test for clogged cats is to remove the upstream O2 sensors, then drive it. It will be loud, but if it drives better, that's an indication that the cats are clogged. Removing the upstream sensors provides an escape route for the exhaust gas, so that the engine can breathe again.
[/b]

Thanks. I see what I can do now. I think my car have the symptom like you said "like crap". The noise is louder than ever and I feel the power output is much less than usual.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My cat on the back side of the motor just took a crap. It has me at the point now to break the inside of the cat at this point just to get by, the cats are like $375 for an 02 taurus with DOHC. I have been dealing with this phantom misfire and bull$h!t for some time until just driving down the freeway the other day the car suddenly lost power and it sounded like I had a severe vacuum leak with what appear to have been coming from behind the dash board, the more you push the gas the louder it gets. It actually reminds me of flying a jet, anyway.... to get home we were forced to drive it. It melted the center of the top hat pieces of plastic below the windshield because the exhaust gases were shooting out of the aspirator tube for the EGR tube, destroyed that high low sensor that sits upon the top of the tubes, and quite literally has ruined my day! I haven't gotten the back convertor off yet but plan on busting a hole in it's honeycomb core just to get it back together and back down the road.:angry:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Update: Rear cat was already empty, front cat and main cat are now cleared out, car still running like $h!t, going to check injectors and follow up with the entire fuel system. This is kind of funny, may be wrong, but I have the feeling something was put into the gas tank, like sugar... Can't really say for sure yet, but it has a lot of the symptoms of something very devious. Going to put a coin in the EGR tube fitting to block the rear manifold off from the intake, try to find out why it's still running like crap...:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
116 Posts
LOL How did you guess.... Words of the wise... There are no words worth it all when actions speak louder than any words ever could. It wasn't sugar in the gas tank though, it was a piece of 5/8" vacuum tube about 2 1/2" - 3" that is suppose to be for the under side of the UIM down in the throat above cylinder #3 below the injector manifold... My guess is that it was there for about two years or so. No trouble lights or codes for stupid! OMG I feel like a dork. There are 1,900 miles between myself and my divorcee and another 1,900 wouldn't hurt one bit, but no deal, not another classic case of a woman's scorn... This time... :wub:
The piece of vacuum hose was from the throat, intake underside of the UIM connects the vacuum port of UIM to steel vacuum line that goes to the back of the motor, the port right next to it on the under intake side of UIM, goes for the PCV valve to which mine was collapsing on it self before I put a couple pieces of small pvc conduit with 45 degree angles cut on them into that rubber elbow, now it doesn't collapse.

·
Registered
328 Posts
For the sake of learning. Are you saying there is a rubber vacuum hose that was missing, disconnected, or damaged?

What does that vacuum hose go to? Is it rubber? I would like to learn something.

thank you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah Scooter, the hose goes to the bottom of the UIM for the main vacuum tube to the under side of the UIM, the other one right next to it is PCV port of vacuum on the bottom of the UIM, I inadvertently must have lost it and just cut off a new piece of vacuum hose for it at the time for it's replacement. So that piece of hose has been in the intake for about two years now. It did run really well at times even with it in there. You are right, learn something new is cool... :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Cats knocked out now...

I put a new PCV valve in, changed broken kick down cable, all that is left is to either remove the broken bolt still in back cat manifold flange, or make something to pull that side of the flange tight so it will be quiet again... Cats can sure cloud your world up, wreck things, and piss you off in short order!!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
There is one little annoying thing left

Car will idle up to 11- 12.5 fall back down to like 800, but when it settles done around 600, it seems as though it is kind of missing or something, like a slight but strong chug... weird but at least it's some what drivable again.:rolleyes2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts