Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Taurus 3.0 Vulcan Engine code U. It has around 192000 miles on it and only has 2 problems. The actuator door is broken and the catalytic converter is clogged.

It is worth replacing the Cats? Also, where is the best/cheapest place to get them?

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got mine on Ebay. paid around $200 bucks, but that was for a "twin pack" of cats for my 98 24 valver. Garage charged me just over a $100.00 to do them. The set was abolt on.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Best and cheapest don't usually go together.

First of, you catalytic converters didn't clog themselves, identify why they clogged first and get that fixed ASAP, or the new one will meet the same fate.

Problem number 2, and I did look at the SHO source options, there should be at least 3 options that will fit the AX4N. SHOsource only shows 1. One option has to do with the length of the unit, the other option is the location of hangars. The AX4S is also different, SHOsource doesn't show it at all, and that is more common than the AXOD. The AX4S has two options of what can fit it, having to do with hangar locations.

I know this because I am very familiar with exhaust systems, including cats, and I know from experience that aftermarket coverage on 1996 - 1999 Taurus' is spotty at best.

The first thing you need to do is identify what engine and transmission you have, and the emissions of your vehicle. Then next thing you need to do is find out how many and where the hangars on your stock setup are, that goes a long way towards identifying which one you have. The last measurement is how long is the stock headpipe on the front side. If you can take those measurements, and get in touch with the guys at Bear River Converters - Wholesale distributors of catalytic converters, they can get you the right one the first time.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
We do have the options for the different transmisions.

We so far have had no issues on the y-pipes other then the transmission. I would question though if Ford would change the length and hanger locations from year to year though.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yes, but you only have one option the AX4N transmission and nothing for the AX4S, at least not for the Magnaflow brand. You need 3 options on the AX4N and one option on the AX4S.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the AX4N.

I had a bad egr and replaced everything that deals with it. No engine codes are left. Spark plugs are not fouled does not leak coolant anymore(replaced head gasket). Does not burn oil or leak.

I was told the head gasket was most likely the reason the cats have clogged

·
Registered
23,405 Posts
If coolant went through the exhaust, itll wreck the o2 sensors also. O2 r&r was a normal part of the head gasket repair on the 3.8 essex engines. Dont know how or if the coolant affects the cats though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts