Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my trans rebuilt and put it back in. Now for some reason the cat converter is getting red(literally) hot. What could i be missing. I checked the converters and and could not see anything clogging them. The car was apart for little over a month. Any info would help.

·
Registered
587 Posts
check the fuel rail to see if you got to much fuel going by at idle. same thing happen to my fiero when the injector leaked the header y pipe etc turned glowing red hot. during the day i could see it's red hot glow. that or your cat is plugged but i am betting it is the fuel injectors. but thought i would mention it.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
IF they are glowing red hot they probably are clogged. How were you able to see that they were not clogged? Most of the time you can't see the cats.

A very over rich condition could maybe cause similar conditions.

·
Registered
587 Posts
IF they are glowing red hot they probably are clogged. How were you able to see that they were not clogged? Most of the time you can't see the cats.

A very over rich condition could maybe cause similar conditions.

i had to cut the cat off to find the brick was gone some one got to it be for me.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Another cause, although it will present with additional symptoms, is a dead cylinder or two (as in a bad coil pack). This will dump raw fuel into the converter and it will get red hot attempting to burn the extra fuel. This is an exaggerated condition of normal operating scenarios.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Another cause, although it will present with additional symptoms, is a dead cylinder or two (as in a bad coil pack). This will dump raw fuel into the converter and it will get red hot attempting to burn the extra fuel. This is an exaggerated condition of normal operating scenarios.

that is another good point the reason i knew it was fuel injectors is i put a fuel presure gauge on the rail turn the key to run 3 seconds later it would be on zero from the injector leaking. end out replacing 6 of them from rock auto and a coil. it had the old style injectors and every time i doug in they would push in becasuse of a pin catching on the lip of the injector port. the new style does not have this pin or problem. but start checking out fuel and misfires sitiautions if you catch what i am saying you should find the problem some ware in there.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you dropped your subframe to do your trans job, double check that you connected your O2 sensors correctly. I assumed I would remember how they were run and had them all out of whack. Computer didn't know what to do to balance fuel and was fouling out the plugs by dumping massive amounts of fuel. Took me a while to figure that one out.
Ed

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The only thing that can overheat a cat is a condition where both fuel and air are present, so either misfires, or uneven fuel distribution (some cylinders are rich while others are lean).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about the egr valve? I'm going to replace the coil, plugs, and wires since they are original. Thought i might get more than 65k out of them. I'm leaning toward a misfire also. one of the plugs was a little wet

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think i read a post couple years ago about someone using 9mm mustang spark plug wires? anyone got a link or remember? I plan to have the car another 8 years so i'll spend this $350 bonus i just got.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Anyone have an update? I have same issue, '04 Duratec, had vehicle apart for about 6 months, exhaust hanging loose/off and trans out. All back together, and she'll start, but bogs down at idle, won't stay running, and firewall cat is getting cherry red after about 2-3 minutes of keeping her running. I'm looking at buying a cat, but man, they're expensive.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have an update. I had a few beers, got thoughtful, and went back out to mess with the car. It had a vacuum leak when i started it, but I hadn't thought anything of it, was going to go back over everything (tweak, tighten, move wires etc) after I was sure the thing would at least start. Well, if its getting un-metered air, the motor will see a lean condition and attempt to correct, and depending on where the vacuum leak is........ Well, two vacuum hoses later, vehicle running smoothly, and no more hot cat. Poor kitty :)

Anywho, hopefully that helps some people who are doing trans work on the duratec, because it looks like other people have run into similar symptoms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts