Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 taurus (Vulcan 3.0) developed a rough idle and loss of power while driving. This was intermittent and it finally set a few codes.

P0420
P0430
Pending code of P2196

I had a previous post that dealt with a heat sink hot no crank issue that was ultimately resolved by changing out the injectors. I know I have a small exhaust leak somewhere. So I am unsure of where to turn next.

It could be that the process of changing fuel injectors and heat sink issues and mileage (156K) has burned out the cats. Could it be that an exhaust leak is too much for the engine to compensate for the fuel / air mixture and I should focus on finding and fixing that first (if possible)? Anything else I am missing?

Options:
1. Assume the front cat converters are toast and swap out the y pipe with converters.
2. Swap out the 02 sensors to see if it corrects.
3. Look for exhaust leak and repair if possible.

You guys have been fantastic in the past so I'd love some advice. TBH my Dad was my car guru and I lost him last year, so this site has proven invaluable.

Thanks!!

· Registered
2001 Ford Taurus LX
29 Posts
The two catalyst efficiency codes could be old O2 sensors giving you bad reads. Catalytic converters should be able to last the life of the car, and two upstream and two downstream sensors don't come near the cost of replacing cats.

How bad is the exhaust leak? No leak is good, but if it's a tiny one that's behind the cats, I would imagine it can't affect the performance of the converters much.

I'm no master mechanic either, just my two cents. I'd try to replace the four O2 Sensors and patching that exhaust leak before blowing a little under a grand on new cats.

· Registered
12,142 Posts
The two catalyst efficiency codes could be old O2 sensors giving you bad reads. Catalytic converters should be able to last the life of the car, and two upstream and two downstream sensors don't come near the cost of replacing cats.

How bad is the exhaust leak? No leak is good, but if it's a tiny one that's behind the cats, I would imagine it can't affect the performance of the converters much.

I'm no master mechanic either, just my two cents. I'd try to replace the four O2 Sensors and patching that exhaust leak before blowing a little under a grand on new cats.
I have had/have 11 Bulls and 5 Lin Cont, never replaced a cat, but several O2 sensors.
-chart-

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys, I got some o2 sensors from Rock Auto but I can't get them off for the life of me. Sprayed them over a few days with some lube and ran the car for a few minutes to warm them up. Any advice on an 06 upstream 02 sensor change? Anyone had a mechanic do it and know what they charged?

Thanks so much!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts