Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that AutoZone they have Castrol Mercon V ATF and Castrol "High Mileage ATF". According to the label, the later can be used in vehicles that require Ford Mercon V. According to its description on this web site:

Castrol USA - High Mileage ATF

-Specially formulated for maximum transmission life in high mileage vehicles

"-Additional seal conditioners help stop leaks

-Extra cleaning agents reduce varnish and sludge formation

-Protects against clutch wear and restores smooth shifting

-Newer cars will also benefit from Castrol High Mileage ATF"

So, I wonder, what do you all think about this? Is it safe and recommended or should I just use their regular Mercon V fluid? Price is pretty much the same, about $5 for one quart.

·
Registered
23,366 Posts
I am pretty confident the community will tell you to stay away from the seal swelling formula, but in the end it is your choice.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hit it on the head, anything that says "seals conditioner" is just pussyfooting around the real term of "swells seals". Seals get damaged by debris in the fluid, get damaged by excessive heat from fluid that is not flushed regularly, etc. If this occurs to your seals, replace them, don't throw some chemical fix to it.

"-Extra cleaning agents reduce varnish and sludge formation

-Protects against clutch wear and restores smooth shifting"

Flushing your fluid often also does the same thing. Like oil, transmission fluid has additive packages and detergent packages that are gone after a certain interval.

Stick with regular old Mercon V and don't be like this goob who came into my store this morning looking for "Synthetic" Mercon V by Mobil1. All Mercon V is synthetic-blend by itself and there are no "synthetic" Mercon V ATFs.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Even if you o go with a synthetic fluid, its really not going to last longer. It will handle more heat it is true, but the seals won't. And after 30,000 miles, it becomes saturated with friction material, which can only be removed by changing the fluid. Just use regular Mercon V for the best value. Using a synthetic transmission fluid is like gold plating disposable cutlery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts