Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this Sony MP3 CDman with the car kit.... was working fine...

Now I guess I am having a problem with the cassette adaptor?

when I put this cassette adaptor the right way, the stock audio (GEN 3) tape deck play fine for a few sec, then changes direction (to side 2)... then again back to side 1 then so.. finally says "TDE" and goes to radio.

regular audio cassettes work fine?

I first felt that the spools on the cassette adaptor were to tight.. so i ripped it open & reassembled.. it work fine for a few days...
then again now the tape deck reverses side after a few second.

what makes it reverse direction?

·
Registered
746 Posts
sounds like the spool wheels are just jamming, the only thing that would make it switch sides would be if it was having problems turning the spools. id suggest trying a new adapter.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i was abt to buy a new adaptor. But the spools on the one I have are pretty loose to turn by hand.

Also the is a belt beside the head on that adaptor. that contacts the capstan and the roller i guess.

What If i remove this belt from the inside.. also for the adaptor to work are the two spools and the gear between them necessay... After all there is no tape!.. just a head on the adaptor that contacts the head in the tape deck.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I can't tell you how to fix it, but I did have a similar problem once getting a cassette adapter to work on a rental Lumina. I would stick the adapter in, it would play for a few seconds, reverse a couple times like you said, then spit it back out.

J

·
0 Posts
I had that problem w/ my Gen3 - the only adaptor I could get to work was a $20 or $30 one from Radio Shack. It was the "Radio Shack" brand. Might want to try that.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
30 bucks!!

I saw for one at walmart for like 7-8 bucks... besides this sony adapter worked well for like 2 months...

the adapters you guys have.. Do you see a belt beside the head? that could contact the capstant.

Previously i had an adapter that had like a small wheel that would contact the capstan/roler on int he tape deck

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I removed the belt in it. and works fine..

only thing.. if the tape deck is is playing the reverese side.. there is no sound.

J

·
0 Posts
Now that I think about it, you can have the Radio Shack adaptor I have - provided I can find it - for just shipping cost. I bought it a few years ago, I think that's why it was so expensive, lol.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
seems to be working fine. besides I have a thing for sony stuff. I guess others might not have a good head...

anyways will let you know if I get the problem again, which should be only a few days... thx

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey vulcan,

yup, crack it open.. most of the are sealed.. but you can use sometime like a flat knife to rip it along the seam.

just remove everything except the two spools & the center gear & the spring loaded head.

now the adaptor will work so long as your deck plays side one..
(top side)

·
Registered
107 Posts
It didn't work...I think its worse now. But then mine didn't have any belt it had gears I had to remove....and the only ones I removed were the ones that turned as a result of the pincher. I left the others in intact so the spools would turn each other. Oh well....I'll be investing in a new stereo soon I guess.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
why did it not work,
as long as the head contacts the head in ur deck it should work. BUT make sure, that your deck is playing side 1. and the cassette adpter is inserted with the right side up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts