Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I am thinking of buying another 2003 Taurus. I checkout the carfax by the VIN# the owner provided and find it is a SE model. But when I come to see the car it is actually a SES model. Is there something wrong with the carfax or the car(I am sure the carfax can tell the difference of the car)? Any chance of rebuild model or fraud?

One another technical question. The VIN is 1FAFP53U53G211388. The eighth digit is 'U' not 'P'. So it is not the type of transmission that is free from trouble? Is that interpretation correct?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for duplicate message. If I prepare to replace and take the potential transmission cost into account. Is it attractive given the price of $3100?

Thanks.

history
//////////////////////
Event date Location Odometer readingData Source Details

03/13/2003 Independent SourceVEHICLE MANUFACTURED AND SHIPPED TO DEALER

04/11/2003WI 6 Motor Vehicle Dept. ODOMETER READING FROM DMV

04/28/2003WI Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:031205V011)(Leased Vehicle)(
Lien Reported)

REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL(Leased Vehicle)

06/16/2003NEW FRANKEN, WI Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL(Lea
sed Vehicle)

06/14/2004NEW FRANKEN, WI Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL(Lea
sed Vehicle)

01/15/2005GREEN BAY, WI Accident Source ACCIDENT OR VEHICLE DAMAGE REPORTED

02/17/2005MIDWEST REGION 59,129 Auto Auction REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION

02/23/2005MIDWEST REGION 59,129 Auto Auction AUCTION ANNOUNCED AS FLEET/LEAS
E

07/12/2005WEST LAFAYETTE, IN59,200 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:050761
35006)

07/12/2005WEST LAFAYETTE, IN Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

10/25/2006WEST LAFAYETTE, IN Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

09/26/2007WEST LAFAYETTE, IN Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

10/07/2008WEST LAFAYETTE, IN Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

11/11/2009WEST LAFAYETTE, IN Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right. But it is said that the 'S' engine is the one free from transmission problem. Other models will have potential transmission problems.

Also, I cannot understand why the model in carfax didn't match the real model I see.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I came across a similar issue in Ft Lauderdale when I was car shopping. The lady offered up a VIN number from a different car she probably saw in a parking lot somewhere. When I looked at the car she had for sale, the VIN was different and AutoCheck showed it was two years older and had been wrecked.

Buyer beware.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The VIN on the dash & door hopefully match.

On a G4 Taurus Sedan...
P52=LX
P53=SE
P55=SES
P56=SEL

Wagon....
P57=SE
P58=SES
P59=SEL

The Duratec (the 's' engine) trans is no better than one you may find in a Vulcan.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The S engine still has the same transmissions as the others. What keeps it free from problems is maintenance. My '96 LX has the Vin S, and has the AX4N trans, and guess what, it has trans problems too. You aren't going to get away from that. How well it was taken care of is going to go a long ways towards how long it lasts.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
The VIN on the dash & door hopefully match.

On a G4 Taurus Sedan...
P52=LX
P53=SE
P55=SES
P56=SEL

Wagon....
P57=SE
P58=SES
P59=SEL

The Duratec (the 's' engine) trans is no better than one you may find in a Vulcan.
Working for Ford for all the years I know all the vin codes for the different cars trucks and SUVs. Well last year when they went to the whole rapid spec thing they changed every body code!!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ehh..I don't believe the"S" code prevents any sort of Transmission problem. A friend's SES AX4S died at 100k miles due to the infamous Torque converter failure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts