Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the weather across the country as it is (I believe it's cold in 2/3 of the country - so that should encompass most of us here), detailing our cars isn't first, and foremost on our minds, I'm sure we'd just be happy keeping them as clean as possible. But until then, it doesn't hurt to get cleaning & detailing tips.

What do you all use for care care products? What's your cleaning process? How far do you go detailing your cars?

Here's what I do:

Using a combination of products from Meguiar's Gold Class, and Griot's Garage, I'll wash the car, dry it thoroughly.
Wheels get cleaned while washing, of course.
Clay bar the paint, windscreen, and wheels (Only as necessary- it removes all contaminants from the paint, glass, and wheels - but is very time consuming).
Vacuum the inside.
I'll dust the dash & crevices, and air vents with Q-tips.
Wipe the glass with a mix of vinegar and water (this makes the windows incredibly clear, and removes any haze, or film inside - make sure you change paper towels often
Polish the wood with wood cleaner
Clean the leather with leather wipes (though make sure to squeeze out the excess, or it makes a mess.
The car gets waxed (I will tape off parts of the trip to avoid wax getting on it - easier to prevent wax getting where you don't want it than to remove it from a dark surface, using a very light, easy to remove 3M tape)
Finally, I use the detailing spray that I use when claying the car to go over the car once more, covering any spots I may have missed, and detailing the headlights, taillights, fake chrome, plastic etc.

My favorite products are:
Meguiar's Gold Class car wash
Meguiar's Gold Class Premium quick detailer (good for in between washes)
Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel and Tire Cleaner (good for clearcoat, and painted alloys)
Meguiar's Gold Class Carnuba Plus liquid wax
Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner
(Mercedes-Benz recommends Meguiar's - but I've been using it long before being an owner - their products are awesome)

Griot's Garage Speed Shine
Griot's Garage Paint Cleaning Clay
Griot's Garage Wheel Cleaning Clay
Griot's Garage Glass Cleaning Clay
(Assorted towels, and tools for cleaning)

What do you all do?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can't do ANY of that till it gets warmer out,, Hell up here they close the car washes at O* F. and they throw salt down if they see 1 snow flake!! I'm lucky just to wash it once a week! sometimes we have to go almost 2 weeks with gross, dirty salt on the cars, (don't have warm garage either)

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I am a big advocate of Adam's Polishes products...once you use them, you will throw stones at Meguiar's. Adam's is more expensive but a much better quality product.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
I am a big advocate of Adam's Polishes products...once you use them, you will throw stones at Meguiar's. Adam's is more expensive but a much better quality product.
Yea Adams is all I use. Whether it's my own cars or detailing a customers car I use adams. Even rep a sticker on the right 1/4 window of my vic ImageUploadedByAG Free1389328148.967733.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,999 Posts
I don't use Adams, as all their detail spray did was turn my car into a dust magnet no matter how I applied it.

But I also don't wash the car in the driveway since I can't(water restrictions). When I did wash my car by hand, I actually used a Honda ATV soap since it also has plastic restorers and protectants (important with the AZ sun).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Though cleaning the rest of my rusted out '07 would be polishing a turd, I do want my windows clean. I used to use the spray bottles from parts stores now I use only Sprayway. :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
If I can keep up on it I will just use Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax after spraying off at the car wash. Might not be quite as good as a paste or liquid wax but it's easy to do the whole care in about 20 minutes.

If kept in this condition, spraying at the car wash will remove all dirt. If really dirty I will hand wash during off hours at the car wash. The spot free rinse is key. Our home water is a little hard and will leave spots no matter how well you dry it.

Trouble spots will get various compounds to remove scratches or stains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts