Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard of people spraying solution into their engine to remove carbon deposits. what do you have to do the engine prep wise before you spray? where do you spray into the engine?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I used a can on (I think) Gumout intake cleaner. The instructions are on the bottle. IIRC, you just take off everything up to the throttle body, start the car, and if it will run without the MAF then you spray for 10 second bursts into the throttle body and while you're spraying you manually open and close it. It's pretty easy, and you get to rev up your car for a few minutes until the can is empty. **Make sure you don't let the little red straw that attaches to the can get sucked into the throttle body.**

Or, you can remove the whole intake and scrub it out with brushes and carb cleaner(or something similar)

The second method is more meticulous and you can visually make sure that you've cleaned the every sqaure inch of it.

The first method gets it clean, too, but I doubt it will get it as clean as taking everything apart. However, when I did it, I opened the TB and looked in with a flashlight and it was clean as far as I could see.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Big Question?

When I spray in busts into the intake, is there a risk of FIRE

What about gen 3, will the negine run with the connectors on the intake tube disconnected. (one is mAF, dunno what the other is)

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Feb 2 2004, 08:29 PM
Big Question?

When I spray in busts into the intake, is there a risk of FIRE

What about gen 3, will the negine run with the connectors on the intake tube disconnected. (one is mAF, dunno what the other is)
I have a 97 duratec and the spray didn't ignite while spraying it, and the car still ran with MAF and IAT disconnected.

You really should read the directions on the bottle before you do anything, I was giving basic instructions from what I remember when I did mine.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I can read & follow that instructions. But still my common sense tells me that there is a risk of fire...
I usually spray a ton of the TB cleaner into the throttle body, and hold the gas pedal fully down, and crank for sometime, repeat, then after 2-3 tries, release the pedal, then start the car.. it stumbles a little but then is fine..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Get 2 cans of SEAFOAM and put one in the gas tank. Then take the other and unplug the pcv valve and stick the hose into the can then pour the can into the hose the car will idle wierd and it will smoke a lot but this works make sure the car is at normal running temp. use about 1/2 too 3/4 of the can then pour the rest into the crankcase. This stuff is the best i used it and i remove the intake and trust me it works.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
is it safe... looks like we are putting a ton of stuff into the motor.
also put it in the crank case. So I dont right before an oil change

·
Registered
379 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk@Feb 2 2004, 06:39 PM
I used a can on (I think) Gumout intake cleaner. The instructions are on the bottle. IIRC, you just take off everything up to the throttle body, start the car, and if it will run without the MAF then you spray for 10 second bursts into the throttle body and while you're spraying you manually open and close it. It's pretty easy, and you get to rev up your car for a few minutes until the can is empty. **Make sure you don't let the little red straw that attaches to the can get sucked into the throttle body.**

Or, you can remove the whole intake and scrub it out with brushes and carb cleaner(or something similar)

The second method is more meticulous and you can visually make sure that you've cleaned the every sqaure inch of it.

The first method gets it clean, too, but I doubt it will get it as clean as taking everything apart. However, when I did it, I opened the TB and looked in with a flashlight and it was clean as far as I could see.
This is how I do it, too. I take off the air intake tube so that the throttle body is exposed and I shoot short bursts into the TB while revving the engine a little bit.

I use Valvoline's Air Intake & Throttle Body spray because it supposedly has lubricants as well as cleaners in it. And the straw part is attached to the can so it won't get sucked into the motor.

I've never tried Sea Foam, but I heard it's pretty good stuff. Maybe I'll give it a shot some time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts