Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..I have a 2000 forf taurus se..The other day i went to start the car and it didn't even turn over, of click what have you. I took the batter out and replaced it with my moms from her car and it started. I then got a brand new battery, started up just fine, drove it to work the next day,went to lunch,went home. I went to got to the the gas station and the same thing happened, wouln't even try to turn over. I have power to the whole car,lights,radio,windows,but it wont turn over,key just goes forward and car wont crank....I'm lost,peopl say starter cylinoid, people say alternator?????getting on my nerves. Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks:angry:

·
Super Moderator
7,694 Posts
+1 for the starter. Next time no crank, give starter a good wack or 2 with a hammer. If it cranks after the wacks, starter is bad.

·
Registered
22,444 Posts
^ Just changed one (starter) on an 01 dodge dakota 3.9L today doing the same thing. Hammer tap got it started and to where i could work on it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Have the starter tested, if it's fine I would suggest an Ignition switch. but I think it's more likely the starter is causing your issue.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Check the GROUND WIRE from the battery to the starter. I had this come loose on my wife's car once.

Drained the battery. Jumped it, wouldn't start. Whacked the started, it started. I drove a mile, died again.

I thought I needed a new starter, but turns out, the ground wire nut came off and the wire came loose. This drained the battery and of course, made the starter not work correctly.

Check that the connections on both the starter and battery are clean and tight. It doesn't sound like your ground came completely loose, but it could just need tightened, which would be causing the sporadic symptoms from having a connection that touches sometimes and other times doesn't.

Sometimes the easiest (and most stupid) things can fix what you thought was a big problem. Once you determine that this is not the problem, then move on to testing components. First, check the easiest and cheapest possibilities before you spend money and time you didn't need to.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
oherc1
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing