Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 taurus won't turn over. Earlier I shifted into neutral and turned the key and it started. Today my wife had it and same thing but she had to shift to neutral and back to park and it started right up. Any ideas what the problem could be?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Transmission Range Sensor aka Neutral Safety Switch. Lists for about $53 at dealership.

Mounts right to the top of the transmission under the air filter box.

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also noticed the cable going to the starter is frayed would that cause it not to turn over. When I turn the key you can hear like an electrical spark not quite a clicking sound.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I pulled the connector off the trans sensor sprayed it with liquid wrench voila started right up. Think I should still buy a new sensor or maybe the connection was corroded or dirty?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Best Dirty Harry voice: "Are ya feeling lucky?"

Replace the frayed cable, too. If that thing fails while the wife is driving the car, you will never hear the end of it.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
The switch on my Tempo needed to be tightened down...I finally got used to jiggling the shifter, and being laughed at in parking lots
The car started it when it was only 2 years old(back when I aunt had it).....Frayed cable? I'd get that fixed...as for the sensor, keep it clean, maybe goop it up with the same stuff you use on the battery terminals.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car's been starting great since I sprayed the connector. Maybe I will try some of that goop. Switch does seem loose too maybe I'll tighten it down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts