Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night when I went to turn the car "off" I turned the key back and nothing happened. It's like there is no resistance in the ignition anymore. Now to kill the car I have to pull a fuse and disconnect the battery. I have a new ignition switch and pulled the old to change it but when doing this I found it wasn't the ignition switch at all but instead was the slider bar thing going thru the steering/ignition housing that seems to be malfunctioning. How to I fix this?

Our house burned down so I am using the computer at the library so needless to say my internet access is very limited and I don't have the time to search the whoel database to try and find this solution. PLEASE, someone help me figure out how to fix this problem. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
140 Posts
sounds like you are haveing a **** time. you will ahve to take the whole steering coumn apart steering wheel ignition tilt. blinker assembly and all the nuts and bolts. it a real pain in the ass.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Do you by chance have a remote starter? The same thing happened to me before and I almost had a heart attack. Try hitting the break or putting it into gear without the key in and see if it turns off.

If it doesnt, then im sure the other members can help you.

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
Sounds like your ignition switch is toast. Replace it. Easy and cheap. Very common problerm on all Fords of that era.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts