Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 taurus that had a starting issue. When I turned the key it clicked like a bad starter but radio came on and all dash lights flashed. Replaced alternator and battery. Now won't turn over or make any noise except the theft light flashes and clicks. Question...what years can I use for replacement parts?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Each part is different, so you can not generalize years of replacement. Some parts are actually split during some model years.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Could be a lot of things. Has it done this before or are there any other symptoms recently? First I would check all chassis and engine grounds. Then check the connections at the starter. One thing to try would be have someone turn the key to start and hold it while you tap the starter lightly with a hammer a couple times. If it turns over you have a bad starter, if it doesn't turn over you still could have a bad starter but should take it somewhere to get it tested.

·
Registered
169 Posts
One of the best ways to check interchangeability of parts is to go to Rockauto.com and look up the part you're interested in. Click on the part number (highlighted in blue) and it will tell you which vehicles use that particular part.

As Hornswaggle states, do some preliminary checks on grounds and starter as well as checking for stored engine codes before randomly throwing more parts at the problem.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have replaced the original starter on my 2000 Vulcan three times, most recently March 2019. I don't know which engine you have but if it is the Vulcan I suspect bad starter. Check out the design, the oil filter is directly above the starter and unlike Jeff K and others smarter than me that cover their starter for oil changes it eventually saturates and ruins the starter. The newest one had a plastic shield covering the vulnerable area. Mine was intermittent no crank, no start. Personally I would be cautious about a used starter as it may have been oil soaked in the past. The annoying thing is that by the time you remove starter and slosh it around to the store for testing it always bench tests OK. Let us know, good luck.

Scott

·
Registered
299 Posts
A quick test I do is turn on headlights, have someone attempt to start the car. If lights go dim, low or dead battery, if not starter issue (starter, relay, Ignition circuit, etc).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I took start out and used pair of jumper cables to test.
if it jumps its ok
also good idea to check before putting in,
sometime bad out of box

1 - 8 of 8 Posts