Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2000 Taurus SE Flex Fuel stalled on the road and wouldn't start again a few weeks ago. My former mechanic friend looked at it and found that the alternator was bad and the battery was dead, so he replaced the alternator and got the battery recharged. Problem is that the car still won't start - there's a small click sound coming from under the dash but it doesn't even try to start beyond that. He had the starter tested at the store the same time he tested the alternator and it was good.

The Theft light is blinking though, but it is blinking slowly - about every 2 seconds - both when the key is in the off and the on positions. He thinks this means that the keys have lost their programming, but everything I find says that's only true if the theft light is blinking quickly, plus I think it's kind of unlikely that both of our keys would lose their programming at the same time. Anyone have any other ideas to try before I call a locksmith or have it towed to the dealer?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just checked and the radio does not work - it lights up and lets me search through stations and stuff but there is no sound coming from the speakers. The automatic door locks and windows and all the rest of the lights come on though. The clock does not reset itself.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Check tra

Why not try checking your transmission range sensor which is located on top of your tranny. I understand these are prone to failure.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
if the car won't start AND the theft light is flashing, I would have the PATS(passive anti theft) system looked into.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the transmission range sensor seemed right so I replaced it, but no luck - car still won't start.

The theft light is flashing, but like I said it flashes slowly (every 2 seconds)- from what I understand, it's suppose to be doing that, isn't it? I thought it was only a problem with the PATS if it was flashing quickly.

Any other ideas? Is the PATS thing something I'd have to have it towed to the dealer for, or is that something a locksmith can figure out when he's programming a new key?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Reading over your thread, I think you need to try a different battery.

Watch the first 35 seconds of a video I made a few years ago...it almost seems like you have a bad battery:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Battery tested good, but it was already almost dead after just charging it Friday, so figuring that it was on it's way out anyway I bought a new one. Still no luck. Radio still doesn't play any sound.

Just found a blown fuse, and got excited hoping it was going to be a DUH easy fix, but no luck. Same problem, no changes. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
HERE is some PATS info you might find useful in finding out the problem. (PDF File.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Crazy because my Sable did the same exact thing today. The lights in the inside go crazy when the key is in the ignition then when it starts it just clicks...
We are in the same boat my friend. What a pain. I posted a thread about this you can check it out. There are some possible solutions listed.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
1 of 4 things

1. Battery is low: Easy way to tell this is it will make a rapid "click-click-click-click" noise when you try to start the car. OR it will sound like it will try to rev once and go silent.

2. Altenator is bad: Easy way to tell this is it will make a rapid "click-click-click-click" noise when you try to start the car. Basicly same thing as the dead battery.

3. Mega Fuse is blown: In conjunction with the dead battery or alternator. If this fuse is blown it wont allow the alternator to keep the battery charged. Thus your batter will be low.

4: Starter or Starter relay is bad. It will make just 1 click noise then go silent when turning the key. Being that the starter relay is mounded on the starter, they both get replace when buying the starter.

AND if its not any of those then it might be a relay/fuse under the hood (but its rarely the underhood relay/fuse)

·
Registered
2 Posts
hmmm, this sounds very similar to what i have been having happen with mine. it used to only do it with 2 of the three keys, now it dose it with all of them. when you insert the key and turn it to attempt to start, the theft light will blink rapidly while the engine cranks over, but it will not start without feathering the throttle. and after it dose start, the gauges are dead for a few seconds, then they will pop on and everything will run and function properly.
she will also randomly die while driving, and then start right back up afterwords.

i'm thinking its the thefts system, or the sensor reading the key, because of the flashing light, and if you sit with the key in run for a few seconds till the theft light goes off, she'll fire right up first try every time >.>

anyone else run into this problem? im guessing replacement of the sensor in the tumbler assembly, or the whole pats is in order...

·
Registered
218 Posts
It does sound like a battery problem, i just had a battery that tested fine but it was causing me stalling problems and starting problems. I replaced it with a battery i knew worked. And it fixed my problems. I would try replacing the battery. I dont recall having the theft light problem with the bad battery, that could be another problem

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
hmmm, this sounds very similar to what i have been having happen with mine. it used to only do it with 2 of the three keys, now it dose it with all of them. when you insert the key and turn it to attempt to start, the theft light will blink rapidly while the engine cranks over, but it will not start without feathering the throttle. and after it dose start, the gauges are dead for a few seconds, then they will pop on and everything will run and function properly.
she will also randomly die while driving, and then start right back up afterwords.

i'm thinking its the thefts system, or the sensor reading the key, because of the flashing light, and if you sit with the key in run for a few seconds till the theft light goes off, she'll fire right up first try every time >.>

anyone else run into this problem? im guessing replacement of the sensor in the tumbler assembly, or the whole pats is in order...
if you have the factory battery then replace it. low voltage plays hell on the taurus. 04-07 seem to be really tempermental with voltage. check all you grounds and make sure they are clean. the battery you have may have an internal failure (cracked inside) and cause random issues. i had the same issues you had and replaced the battery and all was well after. if this isnt your daily driver you ight want to get a float charger for it. this will extend the life of the battery and ensure it starts when its cold

·
Registered
2 Posts
really?! well that's something i hadn't thought about. its a newer battery, but that would explain it only happening in cold weather :lol2: i do happen to have a battery lying around out of my old Tbird. should still be good, i keep it in the basement in the warm, at least i know its not frozen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So did anyone ever find a solution for this issue? I'm having the same problem now after changing out the fuel pump and then ignition switch thinking that was the culprit. All I get is a no-start condition with theft light blinking every 2 seconds in all key positions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.