Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently in an accident in which I was hit from behind. After assessing the damage, I started my '02 Taurus and attempted to take off. The engine sputtered a bit then cut out. I tried to restart the car, but to no avail. Since then, I have tried to start my car. It will crank, but won't turn over. The check engine light comes on when I do this. My friend's father thinks it could be a killswitch, maybe the neutral safety switch. If so, what would I need to do in order to get the car up and running again? Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
There's a switch in the trunk, passenger side for the fuel pump. See if it was tripped.

Go get the codes scanned for at AutoZone and report back what they are (should be something like P0171)...you could have more than one.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Just push the button back in on the inertia switch and you'll be fine. Any hard shock to the switch will kill power to the fuel pump. Which is why the car started for a second then died. It started on the fuel pressure that was built up in the line, once there was no more fuel it died.

I added two pictures to show what it pretty well looks like. When the button is popped up the switched is tripped and must be reset. to reset it, you just press the button down.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much. That helps a lot, but there is an issue with accessing the inertia switch. The impact from the accident smashed the rear bumper and I can not open the trunk. The hatch is stuck shut. The only access to the trunk, is through the outside. The back seat will not fold down because the release for it is in the trunk. Does anybody have any sugestions for this? Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
8,066 Posts
This is a job for the insurance companies to battle out. Since you were hit from behind, it was the persons who hit you fault, and it should cost you nothing to get your car repaired. Have it towed to a repair facility, get it fixed, checked out for any hidden damage, etc, and have the other guys insurance pay any and all costs, including towing. Also, have the other guys insurance pay for a rental while your car is in the shop.

Reactions: kekaye56

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a similar problem. I was in a frontal crash which deployed both driver and passenger air bags. It was fixed, but will not start. the fuel shut off switch is reset, and it cranks but will not start whatsoever. I was reading about the neutral safety switch, and it told me to turn the key to on, and the radio should only work in R, (D), D and 1. Lo and behold, the radio only works like it says. Also, the MFS should also have half of its settings. Hi, Lo, and turn signals. I have figured out it is the neutral safety switch, but cannot find any info as to what makes it default after a crash, or at all even. All i see is to replace it. I want to know WHY i am supposed to replace it and HOW it works. Any help?

·
Super Moderator
8,066 Posts
^^^^^^ If the engine cranks, the problem you are having has nothing to do with the TRS / neutral start switch. If airbags deployed, it must have been a decent front end hit which could have pinched / cut wires in the harness, damaged something else causing it to not start.

Reactions: kekaye56

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel pump inertia switch in the trunk on the passenger's side is tripped. It is under the carpeting near the hinge for the trunk lid.
I got hit on the driver side door and now the power on my 2013 Taurus just died out. Isdo you think its the inertia switch too?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts