Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 taurus GL Auto 3.0L OHV. I have noticed that for a long time when you are rolling along and lift off the throttle the car does not decelerate. It kind of acts as if it is on cruise control, keeping it at the same RPM and speed. Only if the car is going up a hill with my foot off the gas will it decelerate by itself. Its kind of scary to have to hit the brakes that much just to try and accomplish what letting off the gas should do.

Any ideas fellas? Thanks - Patrick :huh:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
hummm you should try when the car is off to follow the cable that goes to the gas on the inside and mostly on engine outside off the car

check to see if when you press the gas that it follow maybe one off the retainer broke or it just dirty and need a bit of grease

meaning that it can go up but maybe when it goes down it not going or maybe the plastic is broken check for rust ?

and im tired so ill come back later lolllllllll

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Your IAC (Idle Air Control) valve is bad or dirty. It sits on top of the Throttle Body. Is the idle speed high?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually the idle seems fine, I will clean the IAC today and see if that's the problem. I'll also check the cable. hmm, i wonder what else it could be....

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
if the trottle cable is going up and down normally

hummm check to see if your carpet is stuck there or something else stuck underneat ?

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Does it not decelerate at all, or does it just coast along and very slowly decelerate? Our 97 can coast for a long time without losing too much speed, and I never thought anything of it, but it sounds like your case might be different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the IAB, it had some carbon in it so i cleaned that. I cleaned the throttle body and checked the cable, it glides nice and smooth. The idle in park starts at about 1200 rpm then drops slowly to about 800rpm which is the lowest. I unplugged the IAB with the car running and the idle dropped to about 300 rpm, so that is working properly.

Do all tauruses do this? The car has a reman transmission because it was in an accident once before. The fluid level seems fine.

Like the last post, it will very slowly decelerate. If i lift off the throttle say at about 60 the RPM wont change at all and the car wont slow until mabye it hits a hill. though this happens at any speed. Is this a common thing then? Its really annoying to have to use the brakes unsted of just letting the engine slow the car down. <_<

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Take it out of OD and see if it does it. Out of OD the engine/tranny has some natural braking. I know I can coast for a period of time (don't know exactly how long since I drive like I am Mario Andretti...)

B

·
0 Posts
I think what you're experiencing may be normal.

On the Taurus, there's a few things at play here. When driving, the VSS will keep the RPM's a little higher than normal to prevent too much engine braking. It's a comfort thing apparently. Also, when at the speed you posted, you'll be in OD, converter locked. When you let off the gas, the converter should unlock, which will leave you in OD. Not a lot of engine braking going on there.

As long as nothing's sticking, and you have no check engine codes, I think this is normal.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
my car does that too, it isnt really a prob it just coast for a long time when youre going slow, now if youre car does this on the highway.... :huh: youre on youre own

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well first the was a recall somewhere between 96-99 for a part of the throttle cable inside the car. You might check into it.

Second my 99 vulcan did the exact same thing but I also had some occasional high idle at startup. I replaced the iac motor and it solved all the problems.

Cleaning the iac will not always correct the problem. The motor could just be worn and not moving to the correct position.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts