Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys, I have tried searching for threads on oil pumps and related topics and came up with nothing .

Im actually trying to research the issue for a friend of mine who will eventually take over this account.

He has a 02 SE 3.0 with 88k on the car. He just had oil pump replaced and the car never correctly after leaving the shop. As a matter of fact the condition slowly got worse.

The mechanic told him that he will need a new engine . Im very suspicious of this claim. I know the forum I am on for my car has an extensive amount of info and DIY threads. My buddy doesnt have much money and I dont want him to be taken advantage of.

Here are the symptoms he is stating. He has to press gas pedal fully to the floor to get the car moving. There is a ticking noise coming from the motor but he states the ticking is worse when the car is in park or nuetral. The ticking does not increase when he does hit the gas. No smoke coming from exhaust and not burning oil.

Any suggestions would be highly appriciated. I am a DIY kind of guy and have no problem assisting him in the repair. He is completely novice when it comes to mechanical ability. That will all change as of tomorrow when we check it out.

I also need to point out that oil light is on as well as CEL. If needed I can get scanner and pull codes which Im sure is very helpful. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
if the car didnt sound like this before then it sounds like the pump is bad or not installed right. would drop the pan and check the pickup tube. maybe pull the oil filter and slow crank the motor and see if oil is coming into the filter.( must be careful to not start the car when doin this. pulling spark plug wires helps.) if everythng checks out on the bottom end then pull the covers off the valves and see if anything has signs of being dry. but it sounds like the pump or filter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Yeah there will be no starting of the car. As a matter of fact, I will take his keys and put them in my pocket, I think I will first check oil filter and then procede to the pan. He has just told me too that his oil was recently changed. Either way, tomorrow he will be doing another oil change.

I was thinking possible vacuum leak. But with the oil light being on, I would have to agree with you about a faulty pump.

Do you guys lean more towards oem or aftermarket on the Taurus?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Sounde like lifters noise due to low pressure. That might be the oil pump but more likely there is something wrong (to much gap) with the bearings.
Due to the fact that car is "sluggish" probably the cranckshaft bearings are gone...
What was the original reason that oil pump was replaced? Oil lamp on?

You could try to use a thicker oil - something like 5W40 or 15W50... but it might be too late for that.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
for some reason the taurus's ive worked on and owned they like oem parts... not sayng an aftermarket wont work for you but i have had bad luck with them. i know this might sound stupid but has the oil level been checked?? i have seen oil shops not refill the oil, forget the oil plug, and use wrong filters.

·
Registered
32 Posts
"He has a 02 SE 3.0 with 88k on the car. He just had oil pump replaced and the car never correctly after leaving the shop."

Never correctly what? Ran?

Check the oil pressure with gauge and line, vs. specs. Then, give us an update, please.

Too many open threads, so little time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"He has a 02 SE 3.0 with 88k on the car. He just had oil pump replaced and the car never correctly after leaving the shop."

Never correctly what? Ran?

Check the oil pressure with gauge and line, vs. specs. Then, give us an update, please.

Too many open threads, so little time.
I apologize for the typo. He said the car never ran correctly after leaving the shop. His father had given him the ran after a trip to Florida. His father allegidly " Ran the piss out of the car on the trip back to Indy.

This isnt looking to good for him. Its too bad. He is a great guy and nothing ever seems to go his way. I do appriciate all the input from ya guys. These forums are priceless. I have saved about $3000 alone working on my car from all the DIY's these forums have . Not to mention all the knowledge the members have. I just figured I would go ahead and do his first post because if this forum is like the others, the majority of new users tend to lack information on thier issue and want immediate results. That can get frustrating.

Thanks again everyone. I will post update tomorrow and possibly videos and pictures.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Why was the pump replaced? I'd bet money the shop never checked the pump's drive gear, the infamous CPS. Your pump may be fine, and it just isn't being driven. Either way, your tick is probably bearings. Especially if the oil light is on. Exhaust the options given to you by other members first, but if it's the bearings, then either buy another car, or put in a $300 engine from the wreckers.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^^^^ +1!!

·
Registered
10,953 Posts
OIl Pump

Why was the pump replaced? I'd bet money the shop never checked the pump's drive gear, the infamous CPS. Your pump may be fine, and it just isn't being driven. Either way, your tick is probably bearings. Especially if the oil light is on. Exhaust the options given to you by other members first, but if it's the bearings, then either buy another car, or put in a $300 engine from the wreckers.
Oil pump needing replaced is rare. Only if the engine is otherwise damaged. If an engine has really crappy oil from lack of changes, then the pickup screen can become plugged and lose pressure, and thus damage the pump but still run.

Installing a pump would mean careful attention to the hex drive shaft. And as mentioned the drive gear on the sync. Likely need new bearings if it needed a pump.

-chart-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just looked at the car. CEL is flashing 46 times. Car has a little chatter but no signs of oil light coming on. I did notice car has new ignition coil but plugs and wires look to be original. Thinking maybe its a spark knock?

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Did you try Gumout? Gumout fixes everything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I cannot belive you even suggesting holding the wires. He needs to bite on to them lol. Well, gonna change fuel filter tomorrow along with plugs and wires. Throttle body looked nice and clean.

One thing that did alarm me, I d\c MAF and car didnt run any different. No stalling or anything.

Code stated that car was running to rich or lean. From the smell of the exhaust, I would say rich. Anyhow, I will keep ya updated and hopefully close this chapter.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
The number of times the CEL flashes means nothing. Flashing CEL means severe missfire = damaged cats in short order. Do not drive the car with a flashing CEL unless you want to spend big $$ replacing the cats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would you guys suggest replacing plugs and wires? It appears that there is a new ignition coil on it. Kinda strange they didnt replace everything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you ever pull the codes? Autozone will do it free.
In fear of damaging the car any further, I suggested he not drive it. I have a friend who has a scanner that I can borrow. Problem is, he lives 45 minutes away. The plugs and wires need to be replaced anyhow. The back plugs dont seem to bad to get to on the 3.0. But we all know how that goes.

The owner of the car will be chiming in soon on here. So I apologize for anything he may and probably will ask . :) All in all he has grown up to be a good all around guy.

Hell, I just realized I posted this thread in the wrong forum. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts