Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86 3.0 that HAD great pick up and quick starts both cold and hot. Now it takes some effort to crank( cold or hot ) and surges at idle and fall dead. I am not getting a code or a check engine light. there are no vacuum leaks detected...I'm puzzled to this problem any help would be great....This is the first time I've had a problem like this to happen since i bought the car and would like to have my power back..lol

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You IAC (idle air control) or IAB (idle air bypass) as they called it back in the day, is bad. It is the cylinder looking thing on top of the throttle body.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I changed the IAC today and it idles OK...But I still have the hard starting problem. I have to spin it over a series of times ,then bump the key to get it to start. Before I could just tap the key to get it to crank. Also when the steering wheel is turned to the right ...the horn blows when the key is turned to the off position(?) When turned to the left it quits :unsure: ...haunted or what???

B

·
0 Posts
The hard starting sounds like a fuel issue. Either the filter, or the pump is starting to go. Next time, turn the key to run a couple times without cranking. This may prime it enough to turn it over first shot. If that does the trick, I'd suggest a new fuel pump.

The horn issue sounds like a clockspring (the ring that makes contact with the horn buttons) that's either dirty, corroded, or just simply old and needs replacing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for the responce... The priming solution works, I have a fuel guage issue, sooooo.. I guess I'll just drop the tank and change the sending unit and the pump. I changed the filter out first time the problem started. The horn issue ...I'll deal with that tomorrow..Thanks again guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts