Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 SEL with 110,000 miles on it is beginning to do some weird things. A couple of months ago on my way home from work, I thought it was stalling, but it kept on going. It always happens in the hot afternoon commute home, always when slopwing down, A/C is always on, and different warning lights briefly flash on the dash, and the radio goes off briefly. It feels like it's downshifting with sudden loss of power, but picks right back up. Advance Auto found no error codes and suggested bad gasoline and I bought a fuel system cleaner and that helped a bit. I am thinking that the A/C clutch is going bad or the alternator, maybe??? It's becoming more frequent -- twice last week and yesterday, again.
Another thing is that when I start the engine and turn on A/C it takes a
while before A/C engages. It does put out nice cold air, but I feel it cycling off and on frequently as I drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesn't happen when A/C is off

I've been driving home for the last couple of days without the A/C and it hasn't happened. I had also noticed that the A/C would cycle on and off a lot when it's turned on.
Never heard of a transmission range sensor, but I'll look into it.

·
Registered
11,069 Posts
shrot cycle

I've been driving home for the last couple of days without the A/C and it hasn't happened. I had also noticed that the A/C would cycle on and off a lot when it's turned on.
Never heard of a transmission range sensor, but I'll look into it.
A/C cycling often is called "short cycling". It is a sigh of low freon. The low side pressure switch will shut off the clutch, then re-energize it soon.

TRS is different issue. Transmission range switch, Tells the car what gear you have it in. Neutral switch for starting, and "R" for backup lights also.

-chart-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts