1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:

I used to have a Jeep GC and it was my baby, well, I traded it in for a 2002
Ford Taurus SES Deluxe. I'm trying to make it "my car". Anyway, it drives fine
but when I'm driving in the rain and I'm idling, sometimes it would just stall and
die out. I took it to Firestone and they let it idle for 30 mins and nothing
happened. They're suggesting next time I bring it in, they'll change the
spark plugs cables or something. So far I have spend a lot of money and its
still stalling.

Any idea? :unsure:

PS: I'm new to this group :)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
2002 Ford Taurus Deluxe would suggest you have the DOHC/24V motor (fenders on the badge and says DURATEC under the hood). If when it is wet, and the car stalls, you are probably having wire arcing issues. Also worth examining the coil pack for minor hairline cracks. Try letting the car idle at night in the dark and misting the engine bay with a spray bottle of H20. Watch for wire arcing.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^^^^+1

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Because it's misfiring bad enough it cannot continue to run. On DOHC cars, it takes awhile for the misfire code to actually pop up. I blew a flipping spark plug out of the cylinder and the car didn't even throw a code!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I guess I need to go to Auto Zone and get a repair manual or something and hope it's not too hard that the only useful thing I could get out of it is use it as a mouse pad for my laptop. I can't believe those guys at firestone don't just look up stuff you know. I would think they have some database they tap into that they type in the symptoms and it gives them possible causes. You'd think right?

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
Pcv

Might check pcv valve and hose, also.
Cannot repeat that often enough, IMHO.:)

A plugged PCV or the hose/tube will cause bad idle, or stalling, and it will ruin your engine. Water from the exhaust going around the rings into the crank case is trapped there. So, water in your oil is BAD!

I bought a '87 Sable that would not idle, used, beside the road private, cheap. The PCV was OK but the steel tube going under the intake was plugged. I had to take the intake off and rod it out with a speed odometer cable and carb cleaner. The engine oil was horrible. Few quick oil and filter changes and it ran another 90K miles and was sold running just fine.

Happy motoring.

-chart-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts