Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus with automatic transmission and 87k miles. When I drive it at about 55mph while I push the gas pedal, the car shakes a lot (no strange noise come from under the hood), but if I release the gas pedal at this speed, the shake will be gone right away. I am wondering what is the problem.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
198 Posts
Does the torque convertor unlock? Does it downshift? Could be a transmission problem. May also be your throttle position sensor.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
The first thing I would look at (and the cheapest) is to make sure your transmission fluid is 100% full.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Check to make sure your tires don't have buldges on the tread. A slipped belt in your tire will make the car shake. Have u had them rotated and balanced lately?

Adam

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Sounds like your tires. My Dunlop's did that to me (belts shifted).
Try rotating the tires that might calm it down a little bit to troubleshoot and until you can get new tires put on. I also agree with what firespirit had to say.
If you've got almost 90k and havent had an allignment or had your tires rotated I almost promise thats your problem.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
My car did this and the lug nuts were real loose. I tightned them up and it went right away.

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Usually I would go with tire wheel problems when there are vibrations at certain speed ranges. But the reason I am thinking otherwise in this case is the cars wheels are turning the same rate at 55mph regardless if he is letting off the gas or stepping on it. Since the car only shudders when he is stepping on the gas it makes me think drivetrain problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all,

Thanks for all input. I checked the transmission fluid, it is much more than full. since I do not know how to check the shift converter, I plan to start with the easy one, check the wheel, probably do an alignment.

Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts