Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Sable with the Duratec V6. I recently had the tires rotated at Belle Tire and the car started shaking in the front end at speeds of 75 MPH and over. Before the tire rotation my car had no shimmy whatsoever. I took the car back to Belle Tire and they balanced my tires. The car still shakes at freeway speeds. The tires are only 2 years old and I have put about 50, 000 miles on the tires. The tires are the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread. Belle Tire told me that if the car still shimmies I may need new tires because the tires have flat spots. How can the tires have flat spots when I rotate them when recommended and I don't slam on the brakes?? Even if I did I have ABS which should prevent tire lockup. Had the front end checked and everything is good. What is causing this shimmy? What makes my car shimmy because of a tire rotation? If Belle Tire is correct in saying my tires have flat spots I am not too happy. I paid a lot of money for those tires and they should last longer than 2 years and 50,000 miles?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It could be a shifted belt. If the shop will "warranty" their balance, see if they can pull the offending tire and put it back on the balancer. It'll visually hop. This could also be runout from a loose-tolerance manufactured rim, a bent rim from an accident or hitting something (curb?) or tire wear from being out of alignment (which is unlikely to cause this problem).

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Does Belle switch sides (tire direction) with their rotation pattern or keep the tires on same side of the car and simply move them from front to back? Ive had problems in the past when tires are switched from pass. side to drivers even though tires are not the directional variety.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Ask the tire shop if they can road force balance those tires, if they have that type of balancer in the shop. It puts a roller on the tire, simulating the weight of the car, while they balance. When they do the force balance, they can also tell if there's movement in the cords. Another issue could be when those tires were mounted, they didn't match the high spot in the tire with the low spot in the rim (the rims are usally marked for this). I've had Goodyear tires in the past, and have had cords go bad around this mileage. Last resort would be to rotate the tires back, until you can replace them, if the issue is the cords.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Besides the tires, another thing you may want to have them check is the Rotor's / Brakes. The front rotors may need to be turned. It's another thing that can cause those same symptoms. It can also come and go at different times.

There are other things which can cause these problems, such worn ball joints / alignment issues.

Though of course my initial thoughts would be the tires. If they have flat spots (as they said) this could definately cause these problems. I doubt that all 4 tires have this problem. You may want to have them switch front to back again and see if the problem moves with the tires.

Generally speaking if the floor / butt is feeling the shimmy's it's the rear.

You could also try putting in another 3lbs of air (or removing) and see if that helps. Not recommended for long driving periods.

Hope you get it figured out! :)

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Besides the tires, another thing you may want to have them check is the Rotor's / Brakes. The front rotors may need to be turned. It's another thing that can cause those same symptoms. It can also come and go at different times.

There are other things which can cause these problems, such worn ball joints / alignment issues.
It's none of these if it only occured after a tire rotation.

I agree with the road force balancer idea, the newest ones are great at identifying both axial and radial runout. Assuming they already checked for cupping on the tread, it's probably just an internal tire defect surfacing. If you did indeed pay a lot of money for the tires, then they're probably still under some kind of pro-rated warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I agree, I've seen wonders with road force balances. A lot of high end tires especially, will develop vibrations and jitters as they approach the end of their life, for who knows what reasons. The Coopers I've run on my van had double or triple the tread life of the common tires on my van, but beyond the half life, the heel toe wear on the tread would cause considerably road noise and vibration, and rotating them regularly does not completely prevent it.

A road force balance should shed some light on what is happening. They might be able to correct or minimize the issue for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts