Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my car has almost 180,000 miles on it. I knew my front shocks were shot and it shacked really bad on the highway so I replaced the following items because of wear and age:

*lower ball joints
*new fully assembled struts
*front pads
*outer tie rods
*stabilizer bar links
*rotated front tires to rear
*had an alignment done, shop was really impressed by the work ;)

The clunking from the bad struts is gone and it handles great over the bumps but it still shakes really bad on the highway, especially on long sweeping turns, any ideas what this could be???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its definitely not that it just feels like somethings not right in the mechanicals.

The only things that it could logically be to me are

*the hub/bearings (but no noise or grinding)
*the inner tie rods
*or the CV joints/rod (boots all are fine no tears or leaks or noise)

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
You've determined that the control arm bushings (the two ends that tie into the subframe) are OK? And that the subframe mounting points, the ones for the control arm, are good?

How about the subframe-to-car body mounts? Maybe the entire subframe is moving around on bad bushings?

How about the strut towers? -- though you'd have plenty of chances to check those out as you changed the struts...

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Just try this to rule out those tires (I had this problem). Get a "force balance" done to the tires. What they do is use a roller to simulate load on the tires while balanceing them, this way they can see if theres movement in the cords and treads causing wobble on the hwy (mine was doing this). Or try rotating the tires back the way they were and see if anything changes. Good luck :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a problem with my Taurus after going over 60mph on the highway. It got worse when I braked at high speeds. The vibrations became increasingly worse. The problem only occurred at high speeds or while braking after going over 60.

Have your brake rotors replaced in addition to your pads.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I just put new tires on the front of my wagon and my vibrations are gone. Check your tires first before you go into other more costly repairs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts