Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like Fred Flintstone...driver side on my 97 Taurus floorboard just broke through. This car is nothing short of a pile of crap. 142,00 miles on it and it's already done? I also own a 95 Honda Accord with 243,000 on it and it's running strong. Can somebody please explain this? Both cars have always received the same maintenance but my Ford has not aged well.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I feel like Fred Flintstone...driver side on my 97 Taurus floorboard just broke through. This car is nothing short of a pile of crap. 142,00 miles on it and it's already done? I also own a 95 Honda Accord with 243,000 on it and it's running strong. Can somebody please explain this? Both cars have always received the same maintenance but my Ford has not aged well.
Metal is metal. The floors obviously build up dirt under the floor pan near the pedals, around by the front of the firewall too. It just sits there and rots out. Honda's aren't much better for rust, by the way. In fact, they do quite poorly. It's odd that your Honda lasted that long with the same maintenance and didn't manage to get rust, I see lots of Honda's with rust.

Key word here is maintenance, you didn't maintain the body and now it's rusted. The car is screwed, I wouldn't bother getting it fixed, there's probably no rockers left either. Next time you buy a car, get it undercoated with oil (in the door panels and quarters too!) every spring. It works. If you live in the rust belt, part of maintaining your car is ensuring the floor never rots out of underneath you. If your Honda isn't rusty, I would suggest getting it done before it rusts.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I second that, get the body undercoated if you don't want it to fall victim to rust. Its not expensive, and depending on where you live, it doesn't need to be done every year. AS for why the Accord is lasting longer? Luck of the draw, most Hondas from that vintage would have fell victim to rust long before now.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,412 Posts
Well I don't know about you JW657,but I don't consider mine SCREWED! In fact any vehicle is repairable. I plan to repair the small hole under the floor and the rockers. Not all of us can afford to make payments on a vehicle all of our lives and pay exorbitant insurance fees.
Mechinaclly the engine is sound, and so is the rest of the car, so please don't judge all cars on your opinion of a vehicles condition.
Lx97Wag, I would check around to see who can make the best repairs on your vehicle. Also remember one mans crap is another mans treasure!

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Well I don't know about you JW657,but I don't consider mine SCREWED! In fact any vehicle is repairable. I plan to repair the small hole under the floor and the rockers. Not all of us can afford to make payments on a vehicle all of our lives and pay exorbitant insurance fees.
Mechinaclly the engine is sound, and so is the rest of the car, so please don't judge all cars on your opinion of a vehicles condition.
Lx97Wag, I would check around to see who can make the best repairs on your vehicle. Also remember one mans crap is another mans treasure!
Firstly, let me apologize if I offended you in my post. I had no intention of doing that. I simply meant that for an average person, taking that car to a garage or body shop to get that fixed will cost more than another identical car without rust. I should note that in my life, my parents never bought new cars, I've never bought new cars and I don't intend to unless I win the lottery. I have been driving around in beaters for my entire life, I don't believe in car payments.

Last week, I bought a 1996 Sable LS. It's pretty loaded and it has just under 60,000 miles. It does need new rockers in the rear, but I'm into body work and fixing that is child's play for me. I only paid $500 for it. I should note that, the car in the picture that I posted got a new floor installed by me and was driven for almost another year before I had to retire it with a busted subframe, broken struts and a bad transmission. I run cars until they're dead, literally.

I may have been a little quick to judge the car. But, this comes with some experience, if it's this bad right now, it'll be twice as bad two years from now. If the floor is gone, the rockers are likely bad and the subframe is probably weak too. Rust is what kills cars in my area, not mechanical issues. That actually makes me really mad. I hate when people trade their cars in soon after the warranty is up "so they don't have to worry about it breaking down", that's great, go pay your $400+ a month car payment and leave me to my $500 beater, it doesn't cost that much a month to maintain it.

Happy holidays!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Firstly, let me apologize if I offended you in my post. I had no intention of doing that. I simply meant that for an average person, taking that car to a garage or body shop to get that fixed will cost more than another identical car without rust. I should note that in my life, my parents never bought new cars, I've never bought new cars and I don't intend to unless I win the lottery. I have been driving around in beaters for my entire life, I don't believe in car payments.

Last week, I bought a 1996 Sable LS. It's pretty loaded and it has just under 60,000 miles. It does need new rockers in the rear, but I'm into body work and fixing that is child's play for me. I only paid $500 for it. I should note that, the car in the picture that I posted got a new floor installed by me and was driven for almost another year before I had to retire it with a busted subframe, broken struts and a bad transmission. I run cars until they're dead, literally.
I may have been a little quick to judge the car. But, this comes with some experience, if it's this bad right now, it'll be twice as bad two years from now. If the floor is gone, the rockers are likely bad and the subframe is probably weak too. Rust is what kills cars in my area, not mechanical issues. That actually makes me really mad. I hate when people trade their cars in soon after the warranty is up "so they don't have to worry about it breaking down", that's great, go pay your $400+ a month car payment and leave me to my $500 beater, it doesn't cost that much a month to maintain it.

Happy holidays!
Rust is a foregone conclusion here in the Northeast on used cars. I try not to think about my Taurus too much. It has every option and runs great, but I know I'll lose her to rot eventually. Makes me want to cry. But my signature says it all, just got to keep my eyes open for the next one...

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The Honda must have been undercoated and rust proofed before you bought it, and the Taurus wasn't. I can easily point out the cars from the north here, as most have holes in the rocker panels, doors, and fenders. Cars in the rust belt are pretty much disposable after 10 years. Don't want a rusted out used car? Come down here to buy used cars, drive home or have it shipped. Cars/trucks from the larger metros have to pass smog in addition to saftey inspections every year, passing smog tests is a indication the engine is running right. Expired inspection stickers mean they probably failed smog. I'm probably going to sell/trade mine in a year or two, before the major problems start. Maybe I should visit relatives in the rust belt, and try to sell it up there? Maybe they'll pay more for a used car that isn't rusted out?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The Honda must have been undercoated and rust proofed before you bought it, and the Taurus wasn't. I can easily point out the cars from the north here, as most have holes in the rocker panels, doors, and fenders. Cars in the rust belt are pretty much disposable after 10 years. Don't want a rusted out used car? Come down here to buy used cars, drive home or have it shipped. Cars/trucks from the larger metros have to pass smog in addition to saftey inspections every year, passing smog tests is a indication the engine is running right. Expired inspection stickers mean they probably failed smog. I'm probably going to sell/trade mine in a year or two, before the major problems start. Maybe I should visit relatives in the rust belt, and try to sell it up there? Maybe they'll pay more for a used car that isn't rusted out?
I'll take a '96 LX, please!!!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It's a matter of personal preference. Anything can be fixed, but if all of your spare time is spent messing with a beater it can be a drag. I got cars with no floors/rockers for many years. I repaired them correctly, but I won't do that again. Mechanical repairs I'll do, but when the body goes, it's done. I will do what I can to delay the onset of rust.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have been a big advocate of using POR 15 on a rusted undercarraige. If it is still sound you can buy a lot of time.
The rockers on the Gen 3 are of concern. The design lends itself to rusting. You may need to remove the plastic molding to really get a sence of their condition. There have been some good posts on this in the past.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.