Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car Ramps

I just took a break from TCCA and went out to change the Amsoil SDF-11 oil filter on my Duratec, since it has been 6 months since it was last done. Over the past year, I bought a set of car ramps that I just used. In some ways I like them and in some ways I'm disappointed. To use them safely, it takes two people--one to guide and one to drive. The only advantage ramps offer is that they provide faster setup than an hydraulic jack and jack stands. For changing engine oil and filter, as well as transmission fluid and filter, it is faster and easier. For overall car maintenance, the edge definitely goes to using an hydraulic jack and jack stands. Some of you might want to pass on car ramps. Let me hear your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
I got some, and I love 'em. Of course there are times you can't use them, but they make the work easier in certain circumstances.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I have two sets. One set is older and metal, but they are taller too. The other set is plastic rated for 12,000 lbs. GVW, but they are lighter, lower, and are easier to use on my lowered Taurus, and Contour SVT with its low front air dam.

I never have a problem using them by myself. I guess I have used them so many times, that I know how to line them up by eye. I find them very handy

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by spridget@Sep 1 2004, 01:56 AM
I have two sets. One set is older and metal, but they are taller too. The other set is plastic rated for 12,000 lbs. GVW, but they are lighter, lower, and are easier to use on my lowered Taurus, and Contour SVT with its low front air dam.

I never have a problem using them by myself. I guess I have used them so many times, that I know how to line them up by eye. I find them very handy
The Rhinoramps are pretty wide, hefty and idiot proof. I would not consider them less safe than good 5-ton jackstands. I have found that on my medium-grade driveway, I can drive a clutch uphill onto them with ease. Can't do that with other jacks without burning the clutch. I need them, too, as the low-nose jack I've got cannot reach the subframe from the front without hitting the body. I hate the old steel ramps now. I often use them in conjunction with the stands, now, leaving the wheels on the ramps but raising the chassis enough to work.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
i had some plain old steel ones...def made some work easier, but they did scare me a lil, because after about a year or two, i could see the bend in the metal, thought it never collapsed :)

though trying to get my mom's miata was a PITA...i had it so ghetto-rigged w/boards to lower the grade, lol

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I've never used them...I guess I prefer jackstands and a hydraulic jack. It may take a few extra minutes to set up and break down, but I KNOW those aren't collapsing on me. I only have a 2 1/4 ton hydralic jack, small Sears piece. This weekend, I was using my gf's father's jack...6 tons, and built for racecars. That thing is enormous and is so damn heavy. Works great though. Don't need to take the handle off to lower the car.

JR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts