Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I was going to do it with my notebook, but my video card just went out. I did have a mobile Mp3 program on the notebook, and I would plug the PC into the HU and play DVD's and Mp3's with it. I was going to separate the screen, and mount it to the dash somehow. And then mount the rest of the unit in the trunk, and use a wireless keyboard (I am typing with one now) setup to use in the cabin. But I never got past the design because of the aforementioned video card failure.

G

·
I had a full setup in my Gen 3, then I got rid of it and couldn't find a good way of putting it in my Gen 4, so it never made it there. I had a tower PC mounted in the trunk, ran keyboard and mouse PS/2 extension cables to the front of the car where I had a mini keyboard I bought and a thumb mouse that can be used while holding it in one hand. I had a 7" LCD mounted on the dash right above the radio controls, etc. There was a power inverter in the trunk with a switch up front for it, the PC had an AT power supply so I just turned it on and off by switching the power inverter on and off (after a proper shutdown, lol). I bought a video card with RCA output on it to make the LCD work. I also had an FM modulator to tie it into the car stereo. I had a DVD player in the PC, too and I used that to play movies. That's about all I can think of about it. I REALLY wish I had pics of all the stuff - a few people who went to Norwalk last year do though, I think.

Forgot to add... I also had a wireless network card in there with an antenna mounted on the rear deck (inside) so that I could download stuff and surf the web from any Internet connection I got close to.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
One of my dealers in northern Ohio does the auto PC's. I have seen a few in the H2's that he has done. Seeing how I have a flip out monitor already with an input, it wouldn't be too far of a stretch for me to put one in. I don't really have a need though, so I will probably never do it.

G

·
Originally posted by 12Volt_rep@Apr 4 2004, 02:53 PM
One of my dealers in northern Ohio does the auto PC's. I have seen a few in the H2's that he has done. Seeing how I have a flip out monitor already with an input, it wouldn't be too far of a stretch for me to put one in. I don't really have a need though, so I will probably never do it.
You would never realize what you might use it for! I had a DVD player in my computer to play movies, you can play MP3's, I could hook the computer up to my cell phone and surf the web, you can play MP3's with visualization on the screen (what I used it for most) - the list goes on and on... if you have the time and $$$ go for it. It really isn't that expensive especially if you already have a spare PC laying around. I am eventually going to do it again to my Gen 4, but I'm going to take a different approach to it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Jason do you have any pics of the setup in your gen 3? I have so many spare computer parts around I could do this for really cheap, except for the screen.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225+Apr 4 2004, 03:44 PM-->QUOTE (jason8225 @ Apr 4 2004, 03:44 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-12Volt_rep
@Apr 4 2004, 02:53 PM
You would never realize what you might use it for! I had a DVD player in my computer to play movies, you can play MP3's, I could hook the computer up to my cell phone and surf the web, you can play MP3's with visualization on the screen (what I used it for most) - the list goes on and on... if you have the time and $$$ go for it. It really isn't that expensive especially if you already have a spare PC laying around. I am eventually going to do it again to my Gen 4, but I'm going to take a different approach to it.
[/b]
Yeah, but the stereo I have in my car does about all of that except the web browsing and the MP3 visualization. The visualization is no big deal to me and the web browsing, well I carry a laptop with me at all times. I wouldn't mind having an auto PC though, they are really slick.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I have the plans to mine 75% complete. I have a guy whos gonna work on a fiber glass dash kit and a fiber glass Climate control panel for roof mounted CC controls. My PC is going to be modular, too. I'm gonna make Custom plugs that interface with all the ports on the PC. I'm looking into XPC platform. if all else fails, the monitor on my laptop gives out every once in a while and I might jus mount that in the trunk w/ an external monitor.

I dont have one cause I'm unemployed, I'm going back to school and the car is still on lease... I am got get all the fiberglass made, but thats it at this point... I figure I'll but an old PC in 3 years and get a 64-bit car...LOL...

G

·
Originally posted by dIESEL600@Apr 4 2004, 03:50 PM
Jason do you have any pics of the setup in your gen 3? I have so many spare computer parts around I could do this for really cheap, except for the screen.
Unfortunately, I do not.
I rushed it to get it done before ROTB and never bothered to get pictures. However, I know several people got pics of it at Norwalk - anybody still have them??

If you have any questions I'd be more than happy to help!

btw... the screen I used was only $80 shipped on ebay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts